Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apex Wheels

rolled. It only rubs bad during large bumps or with people. That bothers me enough.

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Yeah, I did after I posted that. It was around 3am when I posted so my train of thought wasn't exactly working in the proper direction. Sorry about that
    quite alright.
    I was like, really? There's some excellent photos in that link.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    rolled. It only rubs bad during large bumps or with people. That bothers me enough.
    I rarely have people in the back but bumps are definitely an issue for me. Do you have adjustable ride height? Are you slammed or just slightly down from stock

I just started getting rubbing in back with 17x8.5" ET40 rims after lowering on coilovers, but only in hard turns with my track tires. It was worse when the car was loaded up with a full gas tank and 300 lbs of wheels/tools/fluids. That's like having 1.5 full size American males in the back, except that full size adult males don't really fit so well in the back seat!

I don't think I had any rubbing at stock ride height or with daily tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE760). The track tires (Hankook R-S3) are wider with a more square shoulder, even though they are the same width on paper (255/35/18 vs. 255/40/17). After I noticed the rubbing on Saturday, I increased rear ride height so it's maybe 0.25" slightly below stock and I think this eliminated the rubbing in turns. Spring rates are 375 lbs/inch front and 430 lbs/inch rear. Rear camber is between -2.0 and -2.2 degrees.

If that's the case I'm definitely going adjustable. Possibly a rear camber issue?

nike001 Guest
    rubbing in back with 17x8.5" ET40 rims doesn't seem right... That's almost stock spec

I know, it bugged me for that reason, though I only noticed this Sunday morning. (It's possible it happened at the track one week earlier but I was too clueless to notice.)

It only rubbed when I was both lowered and using the track tires, which are slightly wider than my street tires. Lowered with street tires did not rub. Stock spring swith track tires did not rub. But lowered and track tires = slight rubbing in hard turns. On Sunday when I raised the rear ride height, I also made rear camber slightly more negative, but I need to buy a digital level to get a rough measure of my current camber.

Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    I just started getting rubbing in back with 17x8.5" ET40 rims after lowering on coilovers, but only in hard turns with my track tires. It was worse when the car was loaded up with a full gas tank and 300 lbs of wheels/tools/fluids. That's like having 1.5 full size American males in the back, except that full size adult males don't really fit so well in the back seat!

I don't think I had any rubbing at stock ride height or with daily tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE760). The track tires (Hankook R-S3) are wider with a more square shoulder, even though they are the same width on paper (255/35/18 vs. 255/40/17). After I noticed the rubbing on Saturday, I increased rear ride height so it's maybe 0.25" slightly below stock and I think this eliminated the rubbing in turns. Spring rates are 375 lbs/inch front and 430 lbs/inch rear. Rear camber is between -2.0 and -2.2 degrees.
    On the factory 135M wheel 8.5 +50 in the rear I do not rub on 255/35/18 tires.

I run 18x8.5 +40 255/35/18 Bridgestone RE11s. They rub in the rear like you as well. I believe I have the same ground control kit setup as Costco man over here. My rear camber is -2.0 with 11' of toe in. I already fender rolled but it's not rubbing at the fender....

car is fairly low...

Doesn't help to raise it as it still squats during trackdays..

back on topic:

I would really like to get a set of 17x9 +42 if i can figure out my rubbing issue..Ground control was no help saying that is the offset of the wheels that wont clear.

If you're squatting so far that you rub regardless of where you set ride height, I think you need a higher spring rate.

In the offroad world we limit wheel/tire rub by extending bump stops as a simple fix. You could try buying an extra bump stop and cutting it in half and seeing if that keeps you off your tire.

nike001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    If you're squatting so far that you rub regardless of where you set ride height, I think you need a higher spring rate.

In the offroad world we limit wheel/tire rub by extending bump stops as a simple fix. You could try buying an extra bump stop and cutting it in half and seeing if that keeps you off your tire.
    This & that. Or just go higher. I bought 12mm and 10mm spacers off a guy on E46fanatics and he promised to me that they will not rub if my car is lowered.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast