Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question The 3 tires I am thinking about for my new ZHP

I am thinking of updating my tires. The PO put tires on it in January around 87,200 miles and the car now has 88,600 and some change. I only drive about 3k a year, so thats why the low mileage.

These Kumho Ecsta LE Sports (max summer) only have about 1400 miles on them. If anyone local in NorCal wants to purchase them off me let me know. Nothing wrong with them, they're highly rated on tirerack.com, I just like to be the one to chose something like tires for my car. Moving on....

Price is not a factor here. I value tire performance in BOTH wet/dry, and quiet/smooth operation over tread wear and price. I do what I would consider spirited driving rather than aggressive:

City driving: Around San Francisco once in awhile. Notoroiously cruddy roads. I slow down over any big imperfections, that stuck up hybrid driver behind me be damned. Usually only drive to get across town once a week, if that.
    Twisty roads: NorCal is famous for them, and I do enjoy going for sunday drives on these special roads in the summer. Google Map Skyline drive for an example.
    Highway: There is nothing like downshifting right before an onramp and getting on it before getting on the freeway. Put a smile on my face every time in my Turbo Z and cant wait to do it in this car. Planning a few road trips this summer up to Tahoe and/or Napa too. Here is where I value the quiet, smooth part of tires.
    Performance: I am thinking of taking a few driver education (performance) courses. Not really autoX, but I might do it once or twice.

My attempts to make these hyperlinks failed, sorry....

Continental ExtremeContact DW - I had these on my E34 525i and was very impressed with how smooth/quiet they were and how well they gripped on such a big car like my 5. Also was happy with their wet grip. Since the 5 wasn't that sporty or light, I did not push them more than on onramps, haha. I am wondering if those wonderful traits would move up to a higher performance car like the ZHP and be enough for it....
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeCo ntact+DW&frontTire=24YR8ECDWXL&rearTire=535YR8ECDW &vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=BMW& autoYear=2005&autoModel=330i%20Sedan&autoModClar=

Continental ContiSportContact 3 - I am not sure what the difference is between these and the DWs since they are both listed as Max performance summer. I have no experience with these, and they are also the most expensive out of the 3
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....n&autoModClar=

Michelin Pilot SuperSports - These seem to be the big daddies in the segment. I wouldn't mind buying them if they are the best of the best in all categories. I am just not sure how much I would be giving up to the DWs in terms of quiet, smooth operation on the highway and wet grip (if giving up anything at all). Or put it another way, would I be giving up too much performance if I went with the Continentals for comfort vs these.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....n&autoModClar=

Things that make me go "hmmm....' on the weekends
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

The guys love Michelin Pilot SuperSports here. Period.

I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE960's.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Had the conti dws until one blew and there weren't any more available to replace. I liked them. Moved onto supersports and they're amazing. They won't last long but they're fun in the meantime!
    - Marc

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    Had the conti dws until one blew and there weren't any more available to replace. I liked them. Moved onto supersports and they're amazing. They won't last long but they're fun in the meantime!
    In your opinion, how quiet are they on the highway compared to your conti's? and how do they compare to the continentals on rough roads? I am kind of looking for the best balance of traits. If the SuperSports have supernatural grip like they say but are prone to having tons of tire noise on the freeway, I might be hesitant
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    The guys love Michelin Pilot SuperSports here. Period.

I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE960's.
    I have been gathering that on this board. and because of that I am leaning that way, I just wanted some input on their comfort/noise side.

off topic, do you write for The Truth About Cars? Or does someone on this forum write for them?

Mmmm...I do not...nor do I know if someone here does.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Mmmm...I do not...nor do I know if someone here does.
    My bad. I was reading through old posts and I could've sworn someone on here had written for them. maybe it was during one of my 1am browsing session. This forum is addictive :D

edit: I see. you linked to a TTAC review. Thats why I thought that. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...46-BMW-330-ZHP
    Last edited by NorCalZman; 05-05-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: research FTW!

spencers Guest
    I love my Michelin PSS.

PSS are great. My buddy with a E39 540i have them. Low on noise, great treadwear and even great at the track!

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Dunlop Direzza DZ101 starspecs?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast