Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    BTW, I'd be happy to code anyone's TCU for them for free. Its a 5 minute job with Navcoder and the right iBus interace. Also, I'll post instructions on how to program the TCU with NavCoder later this weekend. You need about $50 of software and hardware and an old laptop with a serial port...

Press and hold the guys speaking button on the steering wheel and say "dial name" or "dial number" for the voice recognition.

One cool feature of the ULF (not TCU) is with OEM Nav you can say "find gas station" and it will pull up a list of gas stations nearby.

Speaking of Nav--NorCal, have you updated you OS on the Nav and bought updated maps?

Quote Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
    BTW, I'd be happy to code anyone's TCU for them for free. Its a 5 minute job with Navcoder and the right iBus interace. Also, I'll post instructions on how to program the TCU with NavCoder later this weekend. You need about $50 of software and hardware and an old laptop with a serial port...

Press and hold the guys speaking button on the steering wheel and say "dial name" or "dial number" for the voice recognition.

One cool feature of the ULF (not TCU) is with OEM Nav you can say "find gas station" and it will pull up a list of gas stations nearby.

Speaking of Nav--NorCal, have you updated you OS on the Nav and bought updated maps?
    Good to know. But what about activating iPhone's Siri voice control. Can you do that? I am just thinking its another option for voice control.

I am a Mac guy and don't have a laptop so I am at the mercy of someone else. If the dealer wants to charge an arm and a leg, are you suggesting we mail you the TCU? Might be a good option if shipping from California isn't too much

I have the latest software: 4/00 or something like that right? I dug around and saw that. My maps disc is from 2006 though. That is on my list to buy a new one.

-Antone
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Antone,
    I have no idea if you could get Siri to work with the Voice Control. I'm guessing no, but I'm a BlackBerry guy so I've never bothered to investigate.

Prob cost $7-8 to ship the TCU across country. I'll offer the service for free to any Mafia members who need programming.

You definitely need a new map... Your in luck, the 2012 maps come on 2 DVD's--East and West coast. No chance of my ZHP ever going past the Mississippi. PM me your address and I'll ship you the West coast 2012 DVD. It requires 4-1/00, which you already have so you should be good.

The 2 DVD set of 2012 "High" (not "Professional" which are for the newer cars) maps are BMW P/N# 65902241695 if anyone is looking to buy them. $200 at the dealer. BTW, you can burn copies of the DVD's, however the MKIV DVD drives start acting funny when using them--they boot slower etc. Its well worth using an original DVD to prevent your laser from wearing out.

Seriously???? Dude, you so rock. Just saved me even more money. I was going to have to spread all this stuff out over the rest of the year but now I'll be able to do it within the next month!

Yes I definitely have that version of Nav. Did a lot of reading when I got the car last month.

And re: the voice control, ah so you are blackberry. They make me carry one of those for work personal phone is a iPhone though. Apple owns the Bay Area, hah. I will try to make siri work after I plug everything in and report my findings here. If not I'll probably send the TCU over to you, Steve. Do you know if the TCU allows more than one phone connection at a time, like my work and iPhone or my iPhone and my partners phone?

PM with my address is on the way. Let me know if you want any compensation for the discs!
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

My work gives me a BlackBerry too--but I can't handle carrying 2 phones so I just go with the BB and leave an iPad in the car for actual web browsing...

The TCU allows 4 phones to be paired with it... but just 1 at a time. If I start the car my wife's iPhone generally beats my BB to the phone... It's a bit of a race to see who will grab the BT pairing and leave the other person hanging.

Dug up the 2011 West Coast DVD. Somehow managed to lose to 2012 one already (ugh). I'll send that out Monday am.

One random map note: Up until 2010 the maps were made by Navteq and fit on one dual layer DVD (7.x GB). The 2011 / 2012 maps are made my Tele Atlas, now Tom Tom. They split them into 2 DVDs for some reason despite still only having 7.x GB of data. Meh
    Last edited by sna77; 05-20-2012 at 03:27 AM.

That's cool. I'll take a 2010. How much can change in two years right? And it's still better than 2006

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    That's cool. I'll take a 2010. How much can change in two years right? And it's still better than 2006

According to the map guys roads change about 3% every year. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    According to the map guys roads change about 3% every year. LOL
    Really? ... Steve, dig deeper into that box!! Lol j/k

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    Whoops, that was a typo... It's the 2011 West Coast. 2010 as noted above was the last year of the single disk Navteq maps.

Even better

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast