Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Low-beams not bright enough.

Gents,

When I received my new-to-me ZHP last week, the headlights would not illuminate the road well at all. They were so dim that the fog lights did a better job lighting up the road. The lenses were extremely faded and pitted, so I thought maybe with new lenses that the clarity would come back. I was wrong.

I installed new lenses today, and also new bulbs... still having the same problem. Driver's side is brighter than passenger side, but neither is bright enough. They are both on and powered. Just not powered enough? The self-leveling seems to work just fine, and I also checked their level adjustment manually.

All lights work and operate correctly, except the low-beams. My first thought is that they may not be receiving adequate power? Could it be the ballasts? Igniter? I'm not very experienced with this.

The same problem occurred both with the stock equipment, and also now that I installed some Angel Eyes and new bulbs. Bulbs came from Khoalty, so nothing fancy, but the issue was there with previous bulbs too, so I'm ruling out the quality factor. This has to be something having to do with faulty ballasts or igniter, right?

I tried a search here and didn't see anything about it. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Welcome!

Sounds like you have the infamous ZKW burnt bowls. There are few options available and all are fairly costly..

Check out this thread.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...ht=burnt+bowls

If you are not keen on doing a retrofit such as FX-R projectors or M3 AL bowls, I would recommend finding used AL headlights from junk/salvage yards or for sale. I picked up a set of AL headlights for $500 USD with bulbs and ballasts and decent lenses. Auto adjust works fine, too.

That is the simplest way.

I ask that you also file a complaint online with the National Transportation Safety Board. Maybe if enough of us file claims, they will open an investigation with BMW and force BMW NA to do a recall of the ZKW projectors.

Burnt bowls... Can you first confirm with us that your car is equipped with the ZKW projectors? ZHP's were also equipped with AL's, which do not burn.
    Fuelly

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    If you are not keen on doing a retrofit such as FX-R projectors or M3 AL bowls, I would recommend finding used AL headlights from junk/salvage yards or for sale. I picked up a set of AL headlights for $500 USD with bulbs and ballasts and decent lenses. Auto adjust works fine, too.

That is the simplest way.
    I would definitely try my hand at it. It would be my first HID retrofit, but there needs to be a first time for everything. I just need to read up on the retrofit some more to get comfortable with the install and the parts, so on. Looks like this can run about $500...

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianZHP View Post
    Burnt bowls... Can you first confirm with us that your car is equipped with the ZKW projectors? ZHP's were also equipped with AL's, which do not burn.
    I'll report back by end of day.

Guys, thank you!

I just purchased a new-to-me ZHP and had the same problem as well... my lenses were super pitted though. I changed out the lenses and it got a little better but it's still not great. I have xenons. I've done all the reading and all previous posts pretty much summed it up - theres not much you can do for cheap besides replace pitted lenses. I think I'm just going to live with it and use my highs unless there is a car coming the other way.

Sedan? 4door?

Sedan.

Now that I think of it, the bowls ARE burnt around the top. The angel eyes that were previously installed had burnt out and stopped working because of it too.

Mine are verified ZKW. I just checked.

I'm fairly sure you won't be able to tell if they're burned unless you take them apart. However, since they're ZKW's you can safely assume they need replacing. Good luck with the process.
    Fuelly

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast