Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

2013 Track / Autocross Thread

new year, new thread

post 'em up...

Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    It's no longer 2012, but here's my first AutoX of 2013, BMW CCA Golden Gate chapter at Marina Airport. No car classifications or points yesterday but they did have timing. My best time was 53.002. Best drivers with similar cars were running around 51. Best BMW M3 drivers (E36 and E46, coilovers, and stickier tires) were running 47 or 48 seconds. This was my best lap.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    Gotta love concrete, and the massive understeer that comes with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, same 2013 AutoX but with a slower time. Here's what happens when I use too much throttle in a turn, watch from 52 seconds in.

you were up here without telling us!?

Hey Derek, I moved up to the Bay Area in June and brought the BMW up in August. Thought I mentioned that in another thread somewhere.

Feel free to critique my line and driving skills, on the first video (where I wasn't sliding the back end like mad). My car should have been able to do a 51-sec run, maybe even 50-seconds, if driven properly.

Great videos. I can't wait to post here.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Initial thoughts from looking at the first video (good run).

0:12 seconds, you end up going way too wide after the slalom, which ends up setting you up poorly for the quick 3 cone lane change. On the exit of that slalom I would hug those cones to the right, and when you approach the cone on the left it's just a quick jerk of the steering wheel right and left. Instead you make a long sweeping turn, which doesn't set you up for the upcoming right sweeper. Not setting up for that right sweeper results in an unbalanced car, and understeer

0:39 seconds, you kinda coast here. I'm still guilty of this, it's a hard habit to break. You should ideally be on the gas hard, up to the point where you trail break to plant the front tires and turn.

0:43 seconds, it looks like that should be a double apex corner. You make it 2 different apexes, breaking the turn in between. Continuing to hold that steering angle completely through is faster than steering, then steering again. You scrub more speed that way.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Damn this looks like fun.

Hey guys, I'm looking forward to getting involved in similar autox/track events this year, live in NJ though - Anyone here offer up some good ones in the area? I've seen some of the events listed on BMW CCA but not the autox so far.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender215 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm looking forward to getting involved in similar autox/track events this year, live in NJ though - Anyone here offer up some good ones in the area? I've seen some of the events listed on BMW CCA but not the autox so far.

Cheers.
    Look into local SCCA regions for events. They should have them listed

Or check Motorsportreg.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    a bit sloppy towards the end, but still enough to take the win in DS.

Car is a 2004 BMW 330CI ZHP 6 speed coupe classed in DS with 245/40/18 Federal 595SS Tires. Time was a 64.583. After reviewing the footage, it's apparent that the back stretch was very very sloppy and could have been cleaned up. The car should have been in the high 62-63.xxx range. Still this was good enough for first place in DS that day.

Driver: Kaustav Acharya
    Sponsored by midnightoilmotors.com
    "If I had all the money I'd spent on cars...I'd spend it on cars."
    2013 Mazda Miata
    1993 BMW 325i

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast