Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    To resurface is one thing however if it has play in it, well that's a different story.

I've heard several stories on this DMF thing as well. All of my previous cars have been SMF.

That being said Iv'e heard the reuse once, resurface and always replace. I'm at 141k now and expect to be doing this fairly soon as well. Since I have a work vehicle I'm going to pull it apart before ordering anything. If things look ok, I'll reuse. If not, I'll replace.

Not to thread jack but im experiencing this shuddering sensation that several of you have mentioned. Does this indicate a failing flywheel? Car is about to turn 200k on stock clutch and flywheel so it is more than likely due for a replacement of both. It will slip sometimes on a hard shift from first to second gear making an audible squeak.

'01 330i

Sounds like your flywheel is on the fritz. Mine shudders when I'm parking (especially when the car is still cold) and you can hear it rattling when it's engaging. Still drives okay for now and the clutch has plenty of grab. However, I will likely need to replace the flywheel when I have the clutch done.

Where is everyone getting their pricing from? I saw someone here say the DMF was about a grand?? No way! I just looked it up on Pelican and it was like $574, plus $330(?) for the clutch kit from Turner Motorsport. Brings total in parts to about $910 plus another $600 (basic guess) for labor. Sounds about right for an average clutch job.

Quote Originally Posted by VaTechZHP View Post
    I almost wouldn't want to pull the flywheel off the car just to do the main seal, but its just one of those, while you're in there things that really makes me want to just do everything and not worry about it.
    I'm confused by this. You say you've done clutch jobs before, so it is nothing more than 6 more bolts (or was it 8?) to remove the flywheel and tackle the rear main. I am also confused as to how your other mechanic said there is a chance at damaging the oil pan gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by llll1l1ll View Post

Where is everyone getting their pricing from? I saw someone here say the DMF was about a grand?? No way!
    That was me & I was referring to the cost for an E36 - retail is $962, but looks like there are some cheaper alternatives. Sorry for the E36/M44 vs. E46/M54 confusion!

-Brettski

I got my flywheel from AutoHauZ. Its on sale. for $539.57. Maybe use the autohauz link in the affliates to help out this site too Retail for the flywheel is 1000..

Quote Originally Posted by telijah View Post
    I'm confused by this. You say you've done clutch jobs before, so it is nothing more than 6 more bolts (or was it 8?) to remove the flywheel and tackle the rear main. I am also confused as to how your other mechanic said there is a chance at damaging the oil pan gasket.
    I would prefer to do the rear main while I was in there. Since I haven't seen the rear main seal before, my mechanic indicated that some kind of carrier it sits in would have to come out, that is somehow connected to the oil pan/gasket. Not 100% sure unfortunately to comment and I also haven't researched much on the subject either as my issue isn't quite too bad just yet.

I think if I were to tackle this job myself, I'd try to get everything off on my own and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by brettbimmer View Post
    That was me & I was referring to the cost for an E36 - retail is $962, but looks like there are some cheaper alternatives. Sorry for the E36/M44 vs. E46/M54 confusion!
    Hahaha no worries.

Autozone.com
    Here's a Luk flywheel for $480 with free shipping.....

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200.../flywheel.html

I believe the OEM clutches can be either a Sachs or Luk so I don't see any reason not to save the money and buy one of these.

I have the rattle in my clutch (flywheel?) when backing uphill or trying to creep along in 1st. I first noticed it around 80,000 miles. I've read of some people having it from new. I'm at 103,000 now with no other signs of clutch issues. The noise bothers me quite a bit but I'd hate to change the clutch and flywheel only to end up with the same rattle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast