Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Cool BMW ISTA/D ISTA/P GEN3 Diagnostic software information (input wanted)

I am working to assemble the information/ files to build a standalone ISTA/D and ISTA/P machine, allowing me full dealership diagnostic and programming ability.

I am not a computer wiz, I am a mechanic. If anything I type here sounds retarded, it's because it is. I can use a computer as it was intended and I can code HTML and some Basic C, but other then that, I'm done. I don't know that much about ports, usable vs actual ram and all that good stuff. My learning curve looks about like climbing El Capitan, but that said, I will do my best.

I have spent months learking on bmwcoders and various other European message boards trying to procure a DIY to install the software/ setup the interface.

I have found that there are two options for an ISTA setup: 1) Setup a virtual machine on VMWare Fusion and build the correct ports etc into your virtual machine or 2) Build a machine that boots into xp then directly into ISTA, giving you a true 'native' install.

There is enough information on the VMWare install that I could put one together, but I don't want to fight the speed (read: lack of) of VMWare, even booting from a SSD. I want to build a native ISTA machine, running in offline mode. I can buy one for $1500-$2000, but I can buy the computers which most indidviduals base them off of for less then $250, and the software can be acquired with some patience.

Has anyone else researched this? Has anyone come across a true list of what the hardware requirements for ISTA are?

Thoughts, ideas and wisdom are greatly appreciated as there is little to no information oline about this, and from what I have found, it takes a computer science degree to make this happen.

BP?

Sounds like fun.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Hrmm; haven't heard of "ISTA/D" or "ISTA/P" before, but I'm one of the few around here who has a PC loaded with DIS, IPNA, & NCSExpert. It sounds like you know enough of what you're doing / want to do to get yourself on the right track. I second the decision to go with a "native" XP install versus a virtualized install; that's what I did.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
    Hrmm; haven't heard of "ISTA/D" or "ISTA/P" before, but I'm one of the few around here who has a PC loaded with DIS, IPNA, & NCSExpert. It sounds like you know enough of what you're doing / want to do to get yourself on the right track. I second the decision to go with a "native" XP install versus a virtualized install; that's what I did.
    I didn't know what it was either:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3#post22204363

Sounds way more complicated than anything I need but in for DIY!
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    BP?

Sounds like fun.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA
    I don't know anything about the new software. I haven't done any research on it because I don't have a newer car to test with. I might just start researching just to have it and test later, but it makes all the difference having a car to so it with...

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I don't know anything about the new software. I haven't done any research on it because I don't have a newer car to test with. I might just start researching just to have it and test later, but it makes all the difference having a car to so it with...

Could always ask Chad to mess around with that diesel power :P

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    Could always ask Chad to mess around with that diesel power :P
    Yeah, just a little to far away to keep trying stuff on every time I make a change...

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

ISTA is something I've pondered on too as well. I've been lurking a bit on bmwcoders as well. If it is a possibility on the macbook I may consider setting it up. I know how to use ISTA more than I do with GT1.