Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm unaware if there are differences between M52tu and M54 engines, but your issue is exactly that of my 328i. Coming to a stop in gear, the second I took it out of gear, the car shut off at the light. Sometimes I didn't even realize it was shut off. The solution wasn't apparent right away, but it took several weeks of driving like this to trip the code. I had a really hard time starting and often times it would put it self in safe mode.

Solution: Intake Camshaft Position Sensor. I was at 106k and was the first repair I had to perform. Easy 2 hour job with cleaning the intake tract.

Could be a wheel bearing issue. Wait for Dane to respond.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

CPS is definitely a suspect.

Also agree on a bad bearing being the source of your scraping sound.

If you can lift the rear of the car safely, try to rock the tire alternating pressure at the 3 and 9 o' clock positions.

If you have movement, you have a bad bearing.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Another point of info: while the car has trouble cranking from a cold start, when it's all warmed up and I park somewhere and come back, it cranks perfectly without any hesitation. Dunno if that helps or means anything, but just throwing it out there.

As for the bearing, my roommate thinks that could be the issue as well. What would cause the bearing to go bad? The sound came about around 3 days ago? I don't have any lifts or jack stands so I can't perform that test you mentioned.

Stupid Boston potholes.. they're so bad!

BTW, thank you guys so much for the quick responses and insight!

OP: how many miles on your car?

Here's some info from the Beisan Systems (vanos repair) guy, copied from an E46 "Common Problems" document:

"Camshaft position sensors can fail and cause problems. They will usually
    produce a code, but they might initially malfunction without producing a
    code. A failing exhaust CPS will cause light performance problems. A failing
    intake CPS can cause significant performance problems.
    Aftermarket CPS sensors don't work. OEM CPS sensors are only available
    through BMW. OEM CPS sensors have a BMW logo and this can be used to check
    if a CPS sensor is OEM."

Bearings are just a wear part.

They wear out and need replacing.

The potholes can accelerate the wear.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

61k miles...

I would do the intake CPS and, while you're in that area, VANOS rehab, plus idler & tensioner pulleys, and serpentine belt.

You're looking at a little over 400 bucks if you buy the parts at the right places and DIY. That's with the easier (tho more expensive) VANOS repair option.

Ask questions here if you need sources for the parts and or DIY info.

Your motor will run better and you'll get noticeably better mpg.

How much would it cost to get that all replaced by a mechanic? I do have an aftermarket warranty so I'm wondering if that would be covered by it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
    Got my car scanned -- no codes. The guy at Autozone said my car was running slightly rich..

Anyway, the problem of the engine just cutting out is getting worse (i.e. it's happening more frequently). It only happens when I'm coming to a stop in traffic (i.e. slowly) and as before, there's no jerky commotion. It's as if the fuel just cuts out.

I think it may be an issue with the fuel pump? When I'm in neutral at a standstill, the tachometer moves up and down ever so slightly (maybe 50-60 rpms). Also, the car has trouble cranking from a cold start.

I also have another issue where there is a strange scrapping sound coming from the rear left wheel while in motion. The sound gets faster as speed goes up, so it definitely seems to be related to the wheel. It almost sounds as if there's a piece of metal hitting something as the wheel rotates. Sometimes the sound will disappear, but it's there 80% of the time.

Any thoughts what could be wrong with my car? I'm going to take it to a mechanic soon anyway (if I can find some damn time off my job) but I want to have an idea with what I'm dealing with.
    Have done the inspection I recommended above? It would be nice to rule out the easy stuff.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
    How much would it cost to get that all replaced by a mechanic? I do have an aftermarket warranty so I'm wondering if that would be covered by it.
    Mmm...I would just take it to BMW, have them figure put what's wrong, authorize no repairs, until you know how much. Doesn't sound like your gonna DIY any of it?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast