PDA

View Full Version : peter's Touring project

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

slater
11-17-2016, 12:13 PM
EDIT: original first post below. just had a thought to revisit this and see what how my plans changed for the car since this post - and while i was planning to use a different motor/rear end, it still became a 330iT, just a 330iT ZHP now. :)

it's an absolute riot to drive. with the addition of the RTD shifter (pretty much solidly-mounted) and the aluminum rear subframe mounts, this thing is locked down. throttle response is immediate. loving it. :)

peter

===========================================

OK folks... it's officially mine and sitting in my driveway. :)

what it is: 2005 325iT 'M Sport'; it doesn't have the S338 package, but i don't think that was an option for the 325iT... however, it does have gloss black shadowline trim, M Sport steering wheel (essentially an M3 wheel with black stitching), sport seats, sport suspension, 5-speed ZHP shift knob, etc - all from the factory. also - RWD, 5-speed, heated seats, HK audio, xenons... all details below. :) also, it's a 1-owner car! so awesome. :)

:cheers

year: 2005
color: japanrot on black leather
KMs: 200,720

condition:

interior: a little scruffy, and quite dirty - it needs some major attention.
exterior: not terrible... it didn't see a lot of highway use, so the front end is pretty clean, however there are some deep scratches, and both rear arches are rusty. there's also some light rust starting along the very bottom edge of the tailgate. all of this will get addressed.
mechanical: lots of maintenance done - this was a 1-owner car, so it was kept pretty well mechanically. entire cooling system done last year, along with brakes, tires, etc. needs a few things, which i will of course address.
mods: the lone mod is an aftermarket iPhone/iPod adapter for the stock Business CD.

plans? well... some of you might remember i bought a parts car over the summer that was a cosmetic mess, but had a solid drivetrain - M54B30, 6-speed, and full M3 rear end with poly bushings. i had advertised these parts online locally but didn't really get any interest... and now i think it's because i really need to put them into a Touring body - and now i have one..... so - the plan at this moment is to build a 330iT 6-speed M Sport, with M3 rear end (3.62 ratio). with that package it should be as quick as a ZHP, if not quicker. my hope is to use as much OEM parts as possible, but i will be 'optimizing' it a bit with a few aftermarket bits (shocks, FCABs, RTABs, rear subframe and diff bushings), but for the most part it will be truly OEM+.

1 pic below. :) more to come...

build sheet details:

Vehicle Information

VIN: WBAEN33475EZ15717
Prod. Date: 2004-10-15
Type code: EN33
Type: 325I (USA)
Series: E46 (3 Series)
Body Type: TOUR
Steering: LHD
Engine: M54
Displacement: 2.50
Power: 141kw / 192hp
Drive: HECK
Transmission: Manual
Colour: JAPANROT (438)
Upholstery: KUNSTLEDERSCHWARZ (K4SW)

Options
S1CAA Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S226A Sports suspension settings
S249A Multifunction f steering wheel
S290A BMW light-alloy wheel star spokes 44
S386A Roof railing
S403A Glass roof, electrical
S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S441A Smoker package
S459A Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
S464A Ski bag
S473A Armrest front
S481A Sports seat
S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
S502A Headlight cleaning system
S520A Fog lights
S521A Rain sensor
S522A Xenon Light
S534A Automatic air conditioning
S548A Kilometer-calibrated speedometer
S550A On-board computer
S640A Preparation f tel.installation universal
S650A Radio BMW Reverse
S674A Hi-Fi System Harman Kardon
S692A Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
S710A M leather steering wheel
S760A High gloss shadow line
S818A Battery master switch
L838A National version Canada
S896A Daytime driving light switch
S8SPA Control unit COP
S915A Dummy-SALAPA
S925A Dummy-SALAPA
S926A Spare wheel

san
11-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Looking forward to it! And hoping you'll be posting more pictures than in your "other" project thread [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vas
11-17-2016, 12:58 PM
Subscribed.

More images please.

holyc0w
11-17-2016, 01:10 PM
This car has 2 Dummy-SALAPAs? :cool

BMWCurves
11-17-2016, 01:46 PM
Looking forward to it! And hoping you'll be posting more pictures than in your "other" project thread [emoji6]

+1

Your coupe thread is the biggest tease. There are about 5 photos of it, and two of them are in the shade I think.

san
11-17-2016, 02:16 PM
+1

Your coupe thread is the biggest tease. There are about 5 photos of it, and two of them are in the shade I think.

And one of them is just a part of the front bumper after he got the respray

slater
11-17-2016, 05:34 PM

just added one. ;)

Subscribed.

More images please.

they're comin'... just need to get through a few things.

This car has 2 Dummy-SALAPAs? :cool

yeah... i think those codes are for 'transportation package' or something. weird.

+1

And one of them is just a part of the front bumper after he got the respray

LOL... actually, check it now - i added another partial shot. ;)

BMWCurves
11-17-2016, 07:16 PM
*checks coupe thread excitedly*

"Finally, he's going to post an actually nice shot"

*sees it's just a stupid f*cking partial of the front fender*

http://i.imgur.com/YXUUtC6.gif

az3579
11-17-2016, 07:50 PM

Exactly...:foottap

slater
11-17-2016, 09:22 PM

Exactly...:foottap

hahaha.... got ya!!! ;)

anandoc
11-18-2016, 07:18 AM
This is awesome! I gotta check out your latest addition soon!!

slater
11-18-2016, 07:51 AM
This is awesome! I gotta check out your latest addition soon!!

yeah!

here's a pic of the interior. it is pretty gross.

my bad on the shift knob, i thought it was a 5-speed ZHP knob, but it's a 5-speed M3-style knob.

az3579
11-18-2016, 08:20 AM
Uh oh, those look like vinyl ("Leatherette") seats... I can see the vertical lines and a spot where it's about to start cracking on the passenger side! Perhaps it's time for a leather swap. :)

slater
11-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Uh oh, those look like vinyl ("Leatherette") seats... I can see the vertical lines and a spot where it's about to start cracking on the passenger side! Perhaps it's time for a leather swap. :)

yep, they are leatherette. blah. it's already cracking on the driver's outer bolster... and yep, leather swap will happen. :)

Sockethead
11-19-2016, 04:27 PM
Looks like a great project car Peter... following to see where you go with it.

slater
11-20-2016, 04:37 AM
Looks like a great project car Peter... following to see where you go with it.

thanks rob!

got some production data for the wagon courtesy of user 'SickFinga':

10 - 2002-2005 BMW 325i Touring (EN33) - NA painted in Electric Red (438) with Black Vinyl (K4SW) interior were built for the Canadian market. 7 manual, 3 automatic.

9 were built for the US market. 3 manual, 6 automatic.

The most rare option in this car is the option S760A - High gloss shadow line. It was installed on 17 out of 4,722 cars.

so 1 of 10! very cool. or, 1 of 7 with manual. :)

BMWCurves
11-20-2016, 05:58 AM
It's interesting you can see the difference between the US and pretty much any other country with the split between manual and automatic purchases.

slater
11-20-2016, 06:05 PM
It's interesting you can see the difference between the US and pretty much any other country with the split between manual and automatic purchases.

to be honest, that surprises me about canada. tons o' slushboxes up here.

slater
11-29-2016, 09:37 PM
repaired the non-op rear license plate light tonight (retrofitted a universal aux light, like i did with my ZHP) - 1.5hrs and about $4 in parts. should be the only thing it needs for inspection, i hope - everything else checks out OK, but i haven't checked the front brake lines yet.

also cleaned up the leather wheel and the dash. the car was really, really dirty... like, years of grime kinda dirty. fortunately the plastic bits are cleaning up nicely. the leather M wheel is not fairing as well, but it's miles better than it was. also hooked up PASoft and set things the way i like them. :)

KendrickC
11-30-2016, 04:05 AM
I hope this gets an S54, and becomes a car like kaiv's on M3Forum.

But seeing your OP, I guess not...

Still going to be beast though! :D

slater
11-30-2016, 07:37 AM
I hope this gets an S54, and becomes a car like kaiv's on M3Forum.

But seeing your OP, I guess not...

Still going to be beast though! :D

yeah, no S54. :) it will be more refined, but more powerful than it is now. :)

bcleaver
12-01-2016, 10:00 PM
Sweet project, can't wait for more updates. What happened to all the pics? They must have gotten deleted because there is no way you didn't post more touring love

slater
12-02-2016, 06:21 AM
Sweet project, can't wait for more updates. What happened to all the pics? They must have gotten deleted because there is no way you didn't post more touring love

haha... i haven't really posted anything yet. i need to, and will soon.

BMWCurves
12-02-2016, 06:32 AM
It's okay bcleaver, I think we've all come to know Peter is a massive post teaser. "Oh I got a one of a kind Estoril ZHP...here's a single picture of its front fender...in the garage...with the lights off...at 2AM...with the lens cap still on"

san
12-02-2016, 06:46 AM
It's okay bcleaver, I think we've all come to know Peter is a massive post teaser. "Oh I got a one of a kind Estoril ZHP...here's a single picture of its front fender...in the garage...with the lights off...at 2AM...with the lens cap still on"

Haha :rofl

az3579
12-02-2016, 07:17 AM
If you want to see pics, you'd best ignore Peter's threads. [emoji14]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Vas
12-02-2016, 07:49 AM

Look who is talking :coolpic

slater
12-02-2016, 07:57 AM
you guys suck!

;)

oh man... i LOL'd. i owe you a beer for that one. :cheers

BOOM! :)

haha.

slater
12-02-2016, 09:55 AM
UPDATE: alright you guys... here's some pics.

first though - driving impressions. i finally got plates for it, so i've had some more seat time - it drives pretty nicely. the gearbox needs fresh lube - feels like someone put molasses in there, otherwise all of the controls are good. tires are older pirellis and are LOUD. going to hopefully put my style 68s on there until the snow flies. stereo is good (HK audio, no buzzy speakers - i actually don't mind the HK audio), HVAC works great, heated seats work (although i have a set of M3 seats going in soon ;)). the PO replaced the rear shocks this summer with 'bilsteins'; i checked them out, they are bilstein sports! awesome. they feel nice with the stock sport springs, i think i will get some matching short-stroke bilstein sports for the front. or maybe ditch the rears and try the koni FSDs.

the plan is to do the M54B30 swap w/ 6-speed, and M3 rear end. use the M3 rear brakes, and upgrade to 330 brakes up front. M Tech II front bumper, and rear if i can find one. plus some other little things...

onto the pics:

the front. paint is pretty nice, not many highway miles so there is really no major amount of chips or anything. headlight lenses are original and in good shape, as is the windshield too. those are bi-xenon ALs - phew!! :) excited for the M Tech II bumper! and i might put euro clear corner lights on it, along with my BMW Performance gloss black grilles - this red is a lot lighter than imola, and i think they would look better on this car.

the side. a nice long scratch from the rear door to the taillight, and a dent in the arch where it meets the rear bumper. all of that will get addressed. note the gloss black shadowline trim. ;)

one of my favorite features of the Touring - the separately-opening rear glass! such a good idea if you don't need to open the giant tailgate.

another of my favorite Touring features - rear cupholder. :) my son in particular thinks this is mega cool. note the dog hair... yeah, i've got some work ahead of me.

the interior. you probably can't tell how dirty it is in the previous interior pic i posted, but it was BAD. like, 10 years of dirt kinda bad. fortunately, it's cleaning up pretty well. i spent 30min cleaning the steering wheel as it was so gross i really didn't even want to use it. most of it looks good now, but their are some serious wear spots around 9 o'clock... it will likely get re-wrapped (i'm hoping mike @ coby wheel will start doing leather soon!). the dash, switchgear and trim cleaned up nicely too - i just did a quick once-over so i could assess and start driving it - it will get a full detail when the M3 seats go in (i will probably shampoo the carpets at that time, too). it did clean up decently and will look really nice.

overall, i am really pleased with this car.

PS - please don't mind the mess at my house. we're in the middle of an addition, of sorts (turning the breezeway between the garage and the house into a new entryway, etc), and i've got crap all over the place. :) the garage will get re-sided too when this is done, excited for that...

anandoc
12-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Looks awesome! I keep seeing a red 325i touring near my place...although it does not have the shadowline trim.

Can the touring rear cup-holder/arm-rest be retrofitted in the sedan you think? Would be nice to have cup-holders in the rear.

While you are on the lookout for a MTECH II front bumper, let me know if you come across a black one :)

Vas
12-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Great base for a project for sure.

az3579
12-02-2016, 12:33 PM
The touring definitely looks promising. Where does it fit into your stable; is this a flip or a keeper?

And who exactly cares if I don't post pics? lol
It's not like I have anything interesting...

slater
12-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Looks awesome! I keep seeing a red 325i touring near my place...although it does not have the shadowline trim.

Can the touring rear cup-holder/arm-rest be retrofitted in the sedan you think? Would be nice to have cup-holders in the rear.

While you are on the lookout for a MTECH II front bumper, let me know if you come across a black one :)

yeah, the shadowline trim was pretty rare. it was installed on 17 of 4722 cars. that's rare!

re: the cup holder... sorry, i wish it was! it's a Touring-only item - you'd have to hack up your sedan rear seat back to install it.

re: the bumper... i actually found a place in toronto that sells replica kits - $399CAD for the whole thing. add $300 for paint - not bad.

Great base for a project for sure.

heck yeah!

The touring definitely looks promising. Where does it fit into your stable; is this a flip or a keeper?

it's kinda of a.... fleeper. ;)

heh. actually, i really want to keep this one. i am waiting to see how the project turns out, then i will decide. i am hoping my wife loves it better than the montero. :)

anandoc
12-02-2016, 03:53 PM
re: the bumper... i actually found a place in toronto that sells replica kits - $399CAD for the whole thing. add $300 for paint - not bad.

Thats not bad at all. I found a few places through Kijiji but wasnt sure regarding, quality, fitment and color match. Flip me the deets through email/PM and I can go check them out personally.

RUS_ZHP
12-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Subscribed. I love wagons!
This I going to be a very interesting project.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

johnrando
12-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

slater
12-04-2016, 06:57 PM
thanks guys!

been driving the Touring all weekend. i am digging this car. really excited for this project! the car does have a couple weird issues i need to address...

- passenger mirror in-op
- randomly, the DSC and DTC lights come on. i scanned it and it looks like a bad ABS sensor.... thankfully i have spares (thank you parts car!).

and i mounted my Style 68s for the week until i put the snows on... they look good. will post a partial pic for william tomorrow.

;)

BMWCurves
12-04-2016, 07:34 PM
thanks guys!

been driving the Touring all weekend. i am digging this car. really excited for this project! the car does have a couple weird issues i need to address...

- passenger mirror in-op
- randomly, the DSC and DTC lights come on. i scanned it and it looks like a bad ABS sensor.... thankfully i have spares (thank you parts car!).

and i mounted my Style 68s for the week until i put the snows on... they look good. will post a partial pic for william tomorrow.

;)

http://i.imgur.com/ubOBhkv.gif

slater
12-05-2016, 06:57 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ubOBhkv.gif

challenge accepted.

san
12-05-2016, 07:08 AM
challenge accepted.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

az3579
12-05-2016, 08:18 AM
challenge accepted.
Mounting one wheel isn't acceptable. We need proof that all four are mounted.

BMWCurves
12-05-2016, 08:58 AM
*Peter posts partial pic*

http://i.imgur.com/LSqIkzh.gif

slater
12-05-2016, 11:17 AM
haha.

here ya go. pretty dreary out there.

san
12-05-2016, 11:28 AM
haha.

I like how you name your pictures [emoji6]

RUS_ZHP
12-05-2016, 01:09 PM
haha.

Damn! That's look so nice! I need one of this!!! You made me think: should I sell my zhp, pick up a touring, install supercharger and call it a day.
In addition, there is another guy selling touring with zhp engine....

ELCID86
12-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Love it. Gotta have mtech2 bumper!

danewilson77
12-05-2016, 03:49 PM
This then win.

Sent by the Pixel XL

BMWCurves
12-05-2016, 03:58 PM
I want that car, Peter. Please give it to me.

anandoc
12-05-2016, 04:31 PM

Get in the line buddy :)

holyc0w
12-05-2016, 04:38 PM

+ series 135 wheels

san
12-05-2016, 04:54 PM
+ series 135 wheels

Looks? Yes
Weight? No

BMWCurves
12-05-2016, 06:11 PM

Line? Let me sweeten the pot, Peter. I'll stop harassing you about your picture habits for a whole month Eh? Practically begging to give me the car now, huh?

slater
12-05-2016, 06:30 PM
Damn! That's look so nice! I need one of this!!! You made me think: should I sell my zhp, pick up a touring, install supercharger and call it a day.

yeah! there is a guy locally selling a VF Engineering supercharger kit.... i've been doing some serious thinking about installing that on the 2.5 along with the 6-speed i've got here, that would be sweet. 290hp, 235ft-lbs. but then comes the complexities of supercharging (tuning, rebuilds, etc).... and the M54B30 looks like a good swap. plus i have one here to swap in. with the 3.62 rear end it will be pretty lively. :)

This then win.

yep! MTechII front bumper for sure, will see if i can locate an MTechII rear bumper (i heard they are NLA...).

haha...

+ series 135 wheels

Looks? Yes
Weight? No

yeah, i agree. they would look awesome on there, but they are really heavy. the Style 68's are ~20lbs each, and they look great on Tourings...

Line? Let me sweeten the pot, Peter. I'll stop harassing you about your picture habits for a whole month Eh? Practically begging to give me the car now, huh?

yeah, almost... ;) LOL.

holyc0w
12-05-2016, 07:39 PM
I don't like the weight either, but I saw them in person on a wagon and they were :drool

Sockethead
12-05-2016, 08:05 PM
The M54B30 and M3 rear, that sounds like a good plan... . If you can swing it, swap over the headers too... you won't regret it. They make a big difference.
If you ever go the FI route, the M54B30 internals can take it much better than the 2.5...

slater
12-05-2016, 08:17 PM
The M54B30 and M3 rear, that sounds like a good plan... . If you can swing it, swap over the headers too... you won't regret it. They make a big difference.
If you ever go the FI route, the M54B30 internals can take it much better than the 2.5...

yep... i have bimmerbrake headers on the M54B30 already. i am concerned about tuning though... for the impending CEL.

Sockethead
12-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Is the DME you're going to use MS45?

slater
12-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Is the DME you're going to use MS45?

nope, i'm going to use the stock 325iT DME which is MS43.

Whammy
12-06-2016, 04:13 AM
Very nice pick-up! I'm a bit jealous!

slater
12-06-2016, 04:37 AM
Very nice pick-up! I'm a bit jealous!

thanks! but it's actually a Touring....................................ha. ;)

slater
12-06-2016, 04:39 AM
nope, i'm going to use the stock 325iT DME which is MS43.

...forgot to mention that i will flash it with the MS43 330i software. :)

if i keep the headers i'll use the euro tune.

Sockethead
12-06-2016, 07:00 AM
OK that's good. Even though the MS45 is more sophisticated, MS43 is much easier to tune, you'll be better off with that as there are many more turners out there for the MS43

slater
12-06-2016, 07:30 AM
OK that's good. Even though the MS45 is more sophisticated, MS43 is much easier to tune, you'll be better off with that as there are many more turners out there for the MS43

OK, cool. if i keep the headers i will likely just flash the DME with the euro software, i want to keep it as 'OEM' as possible. :) (i realize headers kind of blows that out of the water, LOL.)

otherwise i'll just use the MS43 330i software and stock headers... i want the car to be quick but a bit understated - not sure if headers will help with that. :)

Sockethead
12-06-2016, 07:49 AM
They will. They add a lot of torque through out the whole RPM range. That's not the butt dyno. I have a dyno run to back it up.
Just leave the stock exhaust on or a ZHP full exhaust for quiet operation :)

slater
12-06-2016, 08:00 AM
They will. They add a lot of torque through out the whole RPM range. That's not the butt dyno. I have a dyno run to back it up.
Just leave the stock exhaust on or a ZHP full exhaust for quiet operation :)

great. NOW i want to really use them. :)

i am definitely going to be looking for a stock ZHP exhaust to install!

Sockethead
12-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Yep! That would be best. There are a few sound clips in my project thread if you want to know what it sounds like. The ZHP exhaust flows very well and it's really not any louder than with the stocks manifolds. I was very happy about that.
Performance wise, I really liked the car that point. I could of easily lived without FI at that point. The headers made that much of a difference. Without messing with the internals (cams, head work, etc) my car was at the pinnacle of NA bolt on. With the M3 gears, headers and a tune, your car is going to be pretty fast

anandoc
12-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Not a ZHP exhaust, but I have my 330i stock muffler lying around. Let me know if you need it.

slater
12-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Yep! That would be best. There are a few sound clips in my project thread if you want to know what it sounds like. The ZHP exhaust flows very well and it's really not any louder than with the stocks manifolds. I was very happy about that.
Performance wise, I really liked the car that point. I could of easily lived without FI at that point. The headers made that much of a difference. Without messing with the internals (cams, head work, etc) my car was at the pinnacle of NA bolt on. With the M3 gears, headers and a tune, your car is going to be pretty fast

very cool, thanks rob! i will definitely consider that.

Not a ZHP exhaust, but I have my 330i stock muffler lying around. Let me know if you need it.

thanks man! i will need all of the piping though, so i will try to find a complete ZHP exhaust. :)

slater
12-13-2016, 10:11 AM
i'm totally smitten with the Touring.

i keep having thoughts of doing the build on this car - turning it into a 330iT ZHP, the way i want it - and selling my sedan. this car is the right one to start with, too. i even looked into importing a 330iT 6-speed from europe, but the latest i could easily import is a 1/2002 build, and i can't find one with the M Sport (MTechII) kit - not sure they sold them that early in europe.

i love the sedan, but i just totally love wagons more. oh man.... i fixate on this crap. help...

san
12-13-2016, 10:18 AM

i keep having thoughts of doing the build on this car - turning it into a 330iT ZHP, the way i want it - and selling my sedan. this car is the right one to start with, too. i even looked into importing a 330iT 6-speed from europe, but the latest i could easily import is a 1/2002 build, and i can't find one with the M Sport (MTechII) kit - not sure they sold them that early in europe.

i love the sedan, but i just totally love wagons more. oh man.... i fixate on this crap. help...

I was kinda expecting you to say this but not so early lol

Vas
12-13-2016, 10:22 AM
One Word...

IMOLA

slater
12-13-2016, 10:26 AM
I was kinda expecting you to say this but not so early lol

ha. i've been a 'wagon guy' for a long time... most people think they look awful, but i think if done correctly... they look amazing. sporty and purposeful - heck yeah.

One Word...

IMOLA

ha. i actually like japanrot better - it's quite a bit lighter.

BMWCurves
12-13-2016, 11:37 AM
Do eet!

Besides, you'll satisfy the wife by getting rid of a car, and that way you can keep the Estoril coupe!

hcbeck2689
12-13-2016, 11:42 AM
great. NOW i want to really use them. :)

I have a stock exhaust from my ZHP. No rust or anything. I'll practically give it to you, your just gonna have to pay for shipping.

hcbeck2689
12-13-2016, 11:44 AM
I have a stock exhaust from my ZHP. No rust or anything. I'll practically give it to you, your just gonna have to pay for shipping.

Haha just realized that I already shipped you an exhaust so you know what it will cost. I could end up being your muffler dealer.

slater
12-13-2016, 11:50 AM
Do eet!

Besides, you'll satisfy the wife by getting rid of a car, and that way you can keep the Estoril coupe!

ha! my wife would be satisfied if we had ZERO cars, lived in the city and walked everywhere (or took public transit). :)

not exactly what i would like. we have to compromise somewhere.... 2 cars instead of 4. ;) :cheers

BUT.... do i swap in a regular M54B30 (already have in the garage), or source a ZHP engine?

Haha just realized that I already shipped you an exhaust so you know what it will cost. I could end up being your muffler dealer.

LOL! that would be awesome, i will be in touch if i can't find one locally! :)

holyc0w
12-13-2016, 12:09 PM
ha. i've been a 'wagon guy' for a long time... most people think they look awful

:confused :dunno

They look great, especially when the wheel gap is closed a bit.

san
12-13-2016, 12:30 PM
ha! my wife would be satisfied if we had ZERO cars, lived in the city and walked everywhere (or took public transit). :)

not exactly what i would like. we have to compromise somewhere.... 2 cars instead of 4. ;) :cheers

BUT.... do i swap in a regular M54B30 (already have in the garage), or source a ZHP engine?

LOL! that would be awesome, i will be in touch if i can't find one locally! :)

Go all out and do a s54 swap! You already have the rear end suspension...[emoji6]

slater
12-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Go all out and do a s54 swap! You already have the rear end suspension...[emoji6]

nah... not for me. i like the M54B30, and it makes the swap a lot simpler.

ELCID86
12-13-2016, 03:45 PM

i keep having thoughts of doing the build on this car - turning it into a 330iT ZHP, the way i want it

You must.

slater
12-13-2016, 07:44 PM
You must.

yeah.... the MTechII bumpers will make it look sooooo good.

danewilson77
12-13-2016, 07:57 PM
yeah.... the MTechII bumpers will make it look sooooo good.
This

Sent by the Pixel XL

Sockethead
12-13-2016, 08:17 PM
I'd use the engine you have. You have almost everything you need without spending a lot of $$. ZHP is only cams and 10HP as far as the engine goes.

ELCID86
12-14-2016, 03:37 AM
I'd use the engine you have. You have almost everything you need without spending a lot of $$. ZHP is only cams and 10HP as far as the engine goes.

Not bad advice. (See sig;). Start with body and wheels. Tranny??

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

slater
12-14-2016, 05:41 AM
This

yeah, but they are pricey - the rear alone is about $900USD.

yeah, i've been thinking about this. the cam install would not be hard, especially if i've got the valve cover off anyway (need to use the valve cover from the M54B25 - and coil packs), doing the VANOS seals... hmmm.

Not bad advice. (See sig;). Start with body and wheels. Tranny??

LOL. i already have wheels, and the body needs some de-rusting love in the RR wheel arch, and de-denting love in the LR wheel arch. :)

as for the trans, i have a 6-speed trans here already for it. :)

Sockethead
12-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Well if I was going to go through all of the trouble of putting cams in, they certainly wouldn't be ZHP cams ;)

slater
12-14-2016, 07:29 AM
Well if I was going to go through all of the trouble of putting cams in, they certainly wouldn't be ZHP cams ;)

i know.... the schrick cams look tempting!! :) but for the cost of the schrick cams... i am close to buying a used VF S/C kit that is for sale near me. :)

Sockethead
12-14-2016, 07:56 AM
There is a company in GA coming out with a Turbo kit for the M54B30. They already have the kit done for the MS43. I'd consider this over a supercharger. To be honest, now that I have a supercharger, I wish I turbocharged instead. Much more useable power

slater
12-14-2016, 10:23 AM
There is a company in GA coming out with a Turbo kit for the M54B30. They already have the kit done for the MS43. I'd consider this over a supercharger. To be honest, now that I have a supercharger, I wish I turbocharged instead. Much more useable power

i'm not a turbo guy. can't stand the power delivery. i've never driven a SC'd car, but i imagine i would like that much better... it's all about throttle response.

slater
12-14-2016, 11:15 AM
why not post a little pic of my 'looks' goal for the Touring? this is the 'rogue' Touring, mine will look basically the same, except i've got the gloss black shadowline trim. ;)

here's a few euro-spec M Sport Tourings... :)284812848028482

holyc0w
12-14-2016, 12:35 PM
That's going to be one :drool wagon.

Sockethead
12-14-2016, 01:50 PM
i'm not a turbo guy. can't stand the power delivery. i've never driven a SC'd car, but i imagine i would like that much better... it's all about throttle response.

You'll like the supercharger then... The power delivery is very linear. The twin screw has a better (earlier, flatter) torque curve than a centrifugal

ELCID86
12-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Love those pics. Thanks for the dialogue on cams, SC and turbo. You guys are way out of my league on engine knowledge.
I have my eyes on a xiT and hope to make an offer on it soon (have not run it by the finance chairwoman yet...).

Possible to go 6MT with the XiT? What about swapping the rear diff for an LSD?

slater
12-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Love those pics. Thanks for the dialogue on cams, SC and turbo. You guys are way out of my league on engine knowledge.
I have my eyes on a xiT and hope to make an offer on it soon (have not run it by the finance chairwoman yet...).

nice on the xiT!

they did make 6MT 330xi sedans, so you would need to source a trans from that (might as well get the engine, too, while you're at it... ;)). and you should be able to install an LSD.

az3579
12-15-2016, 04:33 AM

What are you looking to accomplish?

A couple of things to consider:
* You're never going to have traction issues with xDrive on a 325, or even a 330 at stock power levels. An LSD is a hefty premium to pay to get no added benefit.
* The 325 doesn't have as much torque as the 330, which is probably why they left the 6MT off the 325's. They need those higher revs to be able to accomplish any kind of overtaking or hill climbing. Their fuel economy isn't really any different than the 330 w/ 6MT, so you'd be spending a ton of money to accomplish nothing. If you were doing some kind of forced induction, perhaps it would be worth it, but I don't think that's your plan (correct me if I'm wrong).

slater
12-15-2016, 06:26 AM
What are you looking to accomplish?

A couple of things to consider:
* You're never going to have traction issues with xDrive on a 325, or even a 330 at stock power levels. An LSD is a hefty premium to pay to get no added benefit.
* The 325 doesn't have as much torque as the 330, which is probably why they left the 6MT off the 325's. They need those higher revs to be able to accomplish any kind of overtaking or hill climbing. Their fuel economy isn't really any different than the 330 w/ 6MT, so you'd be spending a ton of money to accomplish nothing. If you were doing some kind of forced induction, perhaps it would be worth it, but I don't think that's your plan (correct me if I'm wrong).

the 6MT (both xi and non-xi) is geared shorter through 1st and 2nd gears compared to the 5-speed, so, especially with an M54B25, you'd enjoy that shorter gearing.

the 325xiT also has a 3.23 rear end (whereas my 325iT has a 3.46). even swapping that out for a 3.46 or a 3.64 (ZHP steptronics had these) would be cheap and effective.

with a 6MT and a 3.46 rear end, you'd be sitting at 2771RPM at 70MPH in 6th gear; with the 3.64 you'd be at 2915RPM. not terrible. with the stock 5-speed you'd be above 3000RPM at 70MPH in 5th (in my 325iT, it's sitting at 3200RPM in 5th! the 6MT swap with 3.62 M3 rear end will yield 2915RPM at 70MPH - so i gain both acceleration and lower crusing speed - which means better fuel economy!).

Vas
12-15-2016, 06:29 AM
An LSD is a hefty premium to pay to get no added benefit. .

Totally disagree with this statement.

az3579
12-15-2016, 07:57 AM
Totally disagree with this statement.

On an xDrive car? Really? Good luck losing traction with xDrive with an underpowered 325.
If you're not losing traction, an LSD is a waste of money.

RWD is a different story - it's far easier to lose traction, so it's worth it.

ELCID86
12-15-2016, 09:09 AM
On an xDrive car? Really? Good luck losing traction with xDrive with an underpowered 325.
If you're not losing traction, an LSD is a waste of money.

RWD is a different story - it's far easier to lose traction, so it's worth it.

I guess I see your argument here with the AWD system.

Peter, I didn't realize I'd need the tranny from an Xi to get the 6th gear. Thanks.

slater
12-15-2016, 09:32 AM
I guess I see your argument here with the AWD system.

Peter, I didn't realize I'd need the tranny from an Xi to get the 6th gear. Thanks.

BP does have a point, the 325ixT is not huge on power. LSD would probably be a waste.

yep, the xi trans has a transfer case built in, which is what sends power to the front wheels. should be pretty easy to find one, i think i saw one for sale recently for not much money (not much in relation to a non-xi 6MT ;)).

now, you could convert it to RWD if you wanted - it would be some work, but totally doable.

san
12-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Talking about e46 wagons -
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5914412696.html

I know you said you are interested in the s54 swap but is this the ultimate e46 wagon? Has the Zhp steering rack too...

ELCID86
12-15-2016, 12:18 PM
BP does have a point, the 325ixT is not huge on power. LSD would probably be a waste.

yep, the xi trans has a transfer case built in, which is what sends power to the front wheels. should be pretty easy to find one, i think i saw one for sale recently for not much money (not much in relation to a non-xi 6MT ;)).

now, you could convert it to RWD if you wanted - it would be some work, but totally doable.

I actually kinda like the idea of RWD. Not sure if I'd regret it or not.

ELCID86
12-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Not bad. Needs new bumpers (mtech) and steering wheel and seats...

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

slater
12-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Talking about e46 wagons -
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5914412696.html

I know you said you are interested in the s54 swap but is this the ultimate e46 wagon? Has the Zhp steering rack too...

Not bad. Needs new bumpers (mtech) and steering wheel and seats...

yeah, which is expensive. it also has pulled rear fenders, which is a big turn-off for me.

otherwise, very cool, and priced decently too. it has power seats so you could install any other power E46 sport seat. i don't think it's as nice as other conversions i've seen, but it's not bad!

I actually kinda like the idea of RWD. Not sure if I'd regret it or not.

you mean converting it to RWD? i think, where you live, you don't need AWD (heck, i don't even need it where i live). converting to RWD will not only make the car lighter, but quicker, and if you put in an LSD then you get your wintertime traction.

i've now driven both the Touring and the LSD-equipped sedan back-to-back in the snow this year and the LSD is so nice. it just hooks up and goes. no drama. :)

ELCID86
12-15-2016, 02:14 PM
^so tempting. But so much work... I do like that idea. Would eliminate the xi issues too.

slater
12-15-2016, 09:23 PM
^so tempting. But so much work... I do like that idea. Would eliminate the xi issues too.

yeah, converting would be a big project... however, if you found a donor 330Ci/330i (or even better - a ZHP), then you would have everything you needed (minus LSD) for the swap. you literally could just drop the entire engine/trans/front subframe/front suspension/steering rack assembly out of the donor car, and plug it into the Touring. i've done a lot of research on removing the M54B25 in favor of an M54B30 and it's really not complicated.

plus - then you can have a sweet, unique car that can swallow a dishwasher. ;) i loaded up a set of wheels and tires in the Touring tonight, with ease!

ELCID86
12-16-2016, 03:03 AM
yeah, converting would be a big project... however, if you found a donor 330Ci/330i (or even better - a ZHP), then you would have everything you needed (minus LSD) for the swap. you literally could just drop the entire engine/trans/front subframe/front suspension/steering rack assembly out of the donor car, and plug it into the Touring. i've done a lot of research on removing the M54B25 in favor of an M54B30 and it's really not complicated.

plus - then you can have a sweet, unique car that can swallow a dishwasher. ;) i loaded up a set of wheels and tires in the Touring tonight, with ease!

Lol. I have some thinking to do...

slater
12-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Lol. I have some thinking to do...

haha. maybe i'll finish the Touring and sell it to you! :)

i go back and forth daily on whether to keep the sedan or the Touring. they each have their own attributes that i like. i need to wait until i finish the Touring to decide. it's going to be tough.

Stigissimo
12-21-2016, 10:42 AM
You ever see OEM touring shadowline trim come up for sale in a set up there? I wasn't aware that any tourings outside of EU came with full shadowline trim.

slater
12-21-2016, 10:54 AM
You ever see OEM touring shadowline trim come up for sale in a set up there? I wasn't aware that any tourings outside of EU came with full shadowline trim.

never... it was installed on only 17 cars for north america!!

Stigissimo
12-21-2016, 11:08 AM

Wow. You're one lucky guy huh. I've been looking on Ebay Germany / UK - now to find somebody who'll ship it stateside....

slater
12-21-2016, 01:34 PM

rob - i was speaking with terraphantom on here and it turns out the Touring is MS45.1. so i will just use the MS45.1 M54B30 tune, but that kinda makes the header thing a real PITA. hrm.

Wow. You're one lucky guy huh. I've been looking on Ebay Germany / UK - now to find somebody who'll ship it stateside....

you just need to contact the sellers and ask. i've had good success with that in the past.

Johnmadd
12-21-2016, 02:46 PM

That is awesome. I love this project btw.

slater
12-21-2016, 08:54 PM
That is awesome. I love this project btw.

thanks john! me too. curious to see the outcome! :cheers

slater
12-30-2016, 04:07 PM
got some OEM red/clear tails and front koni yellows for the Touring. hoping to install in the next couple of weeks. getting things lined up for a black pillar and headliner swap too. :)

slater
01-03-2017, 11:26 PM
2 weeks of guests finally gone.

installed M3 seats in the Touring, finally, tonight. they are just the best, and sit a bit lower than the stock leatherette sport seats. nice to have lumbar in there finally.

also replaced driver's door seal (old one had a tear), and cleaned and detailed the interior... removed old potato chips, about $4.87 in change, what i think might have been a piece of bacon, some cough drops...... and enough dog hair to make a new dog. came out surprisingly nice, will post pics later today.

anandoc
01-04-2017, 03:16 AM
Nice work! I remember us finding enough change in my car for a McDonalds meal while installing M3 seats in my car :)

330i ZHP
01-04-2017, 11:34 PM
very cool, thanks rob! i will definitely consider that.

thanks man! i will need all of the piping though, so i will try to find a complete ZHP exhaust. :)

The only part that is different from 325 to ZHP exhaust is the rear silencer.

330i ZHP
01-04-2017, 11:43 PM
rob - i was speaking with terraphantom on here and it turns out the Touring is MS45.1. so i will just use the MS45.1 M54B30 tune, but that kinda makes the header thing a real PITA.

My touring is 2004 and is ms43. Easiest way to confirm...pull the plug on the MAF. If three pins it's ms43. If five pins it's ms45

slater
01-05-2017, 06:01 AM
Nice work! I remember us finding enough change in my car for a McDonalds meal while installing M3 seats in my car :)

yep. :) your carpets were pristine compared to these ones, though! will try to post pics today.

The only part that is different from 325 to ZHP exhaust is the rear silencer.

really? the piping is the same diameter? i guess i shouldn't have chucked the old exhaust from my parts car, whoops....

My touring is 2004 and is ms43. Easiest way to confirm...pull the plug on the MAF. If three pins it's ms43. If five pins it's ms45

yeah, that's what terra said. my 2005 Touring has a 5-pin MAF.

slater
01-05-2017, 09:43 AM
WARNING: these images may be unsuitable for some viewers. viewer discretion is advised.

;)

check out these pre- and post- vacuum shots of the carpeting... the layer of dust, dirt, grime, dog hair, etc was astounding. i didn't take a pre- shot of the trunk area, but it was similar in regards to the level of dog hair. what was also astounding was how well it cleaned up - thanks to persistence and my dyson canister vac, which sucks bigtime... ;)

i also got the M3 seats in. yes. :cheers

danewilson77
01-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Well done

Sockethead
01-05-2017, 04:29 PM
OCD satisfied ;)

Looks great!

slater
01-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Well done

thanks dane!

OCD satisfied ;)

Looks great!

thanks! and, yep on the OCD thing. :) (temporarily satisfied, anyway. ;)) it's amazing how good a clean car feels (and smells). we took the Touring on a family outing tonight, doing about 60min of country roads, 40min of highway, and 20min of city driving and it was so quiet and smooth and calm. i love it - really enjoying the stark contrast to my sedan.

however......... i did a cost analysis of the project i've outlined here, versus using my sedan as the 'donor' (and parting the rest) and making it a true ZHP Touring (and selling off the M54B30 and 6-speed trans that i was going to use), and it's basically a wash. so, if i get crazy enough, my sedan's character will move into the Touring.

hmmmm. now i know what stuart must feel like (swapping engines between cars in his stable). there's just something so fun and special about the Touring.... hard to put a finger on why, as it's 80lbs heavier, but it just has extra character. and it was great for family stuff tonight - that little bit of extra space is nice.

:)

BMWCurves
01-06-2017, 07:14 AM
Do it.

derbo
01-06-2017, 08:11 AM
thanks dane!

thanks! and, yep on the OCD thing. :) (temporarily satisfied, anyway. ;)) it's amazing how good a clean car feels (and smells). we took the Touring on a family outing tonight, doing about 60min of country roads, 40min of highway, and 20min of city driving and it was so quiet and smooth and calm. i love it - really enjoying the stark contrast to my sedan.

however......... i did a cost analysis of the project i've outlined here, versus using my sedan as the 'donor' (and parting the rest) and making it a true ZHP Touring (and selling off the M54B30 and 6-speed trans that i was going to use), and it's basically a wash. so, if i get crazy enough, my sedan's character will move into the Touring.

hmmmm. now i know what stuart must feel like (swapping engines between cars in his stable). there's just something so fun and special about the Touring.... hard to put a finger on why, as it's 80lbs heavier, but it just has extra character. and it was great for family stuff tonight - that little bit of extra space is nice.

:)

BUT BUT YOU LOSE A CAR PETE. If its the same price, you still have two cars after completion?

az3579
01-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Please don't gut the ZHP...

slater
01-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Do it.

enabler! ;)

BUT BUT YOU LOSE A CAR PETE. If its the same price, you still have two cars after completion?

i will lose a car either way... if i keep the Touring, the sedan either gets sold or becomes a donor car. if i keep the sedan... Touring gets sold. trying to simplify my life for 2017... i pile on too much stuff! this will be a 'last hurrah' for a while. i need to make a decision on what's going to be my long-term car.

ZHPizza
01-06-2017, 09:14 AM
gut the blue one :shifty

slater
01-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Please don't gut the ZHP...

don't think of it as 'gut'... think of it as 'transform.' :)

ha... now that would be blaspheme! :)

holyc0w
01-06-2017, 09:40 AM
don't think of it as 'gut'... think of it as 'transform.' :)

Monster! ;)

derbo
01-06-2017, 11:49 AM
enabler! ;)

i will lose a car either way... if i keep the Touring, the sedan either gets sold or becomes a donor car. if i keep the sedan... Touring gets sold. trying to simplify my life for 2017... i pile on too much stuff! this will be a 'last hurrah' for a while. i need to make a decision on what's going to be my long-term car.

Then lets go ZHP all the wayyyy. Repaint it IMOLA ;)

slater
01-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Then lets go ZHP all the wayyyy. Repaint it IMOLA ;)

haha. i actually really like the japanrot color. but if it gets repainted................................ estoril? :)

derbo
01-06-2017, 01:38 PM
haha. i actually really like the japanrot color. but if it gets repainted................................ estoril? :)

Kalim's 332i is japanrot also. :)

slater
01-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Kalim's 332i is japanrot also. :)

that's nice. :) japanrot is a lot brighter.

Sockethead
01-07-2017, 07:37 AM
Someone at Kristen's work has an Alpine White facelifted e46 touring for sale... oh no!

BMWCurves
01-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Keep the Touring, Peter. Utilitarian, looks amazing, rare, it'll be a labor of love.

Someone at Kristen's work has an Alpine White facelifted e46 touring for sale... oh no!

Oooh details.

slater
01-07-2017, 04:23 PM

details???? :)

Keep the Touring, Peter. Utilitarian, looks amazing, rare, it'll be a labor of love.

yeah, i agree with all of those points. my thoughts for the car are currently all over the place... but i think eventually i want it to be an M332iT (a narrow-bodied M3 Touring ;)). but for now it will just be a 330iT M Sport. whether it will be a 330iT ZHP or not, that still needs to be decided.

Sockethead
01-07-2017, 04:41 PM
I'll find out more details Monday. It belongs to one of the employees at Kristen's BMW dealership. All I know is that it's a well maintained, high mileage car...
Why do all these cars I want have to be available when I can't spend any money? :mad

704sw
01-08-2017, 10:10 PM

nono 11 more days.

holyc0w
01-08-2017, 10:18 PM
nono 11 more days.

:rofl

slater
01-12-2017, 08:41 AM
i ordered a used MTechII Touring rear bumper and full black headliner/pillar set from germany for the Touring today! :)

wife is using the Touring today to transport her digital grand piano, with stand, to a studio about 3hrs away. the whole setup is massive. yay Touring! the piano itself fit in the sedan with the seats folded down (i tested), but the stand would not. she was bummed because she likes the sedan better, but that's because the shifter in the Touring is very stiff (not fluid-related; and it's temporary anyway until the 6-speed goes in). oh well. hopefully she bonds with the Touring over the long journey. ;)

Sockethead
01-12-2017, 10:03 AM
LOL hopefully she does and approves more mods!
The wife has my e46 today... electric water pump went in the 135...We'll see if she likes the supercharger

anandoc
01-12-2017, 10:30 AM
i ordered a used MTechII Touring rear bumper and full black headliner/pillar set from germany for the Touring today! :)

Nice! But that must have been expensive to get shipped all the way from there! Is this from eBay or something?

derbo
01-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Oh my!! I always wanted a true ZHP touring. :)

slater
01-12-2017, 11:27 AM
The wife has my e46 today... electric water pump went in the 135...We'll see if she likes the supercharger

haha, cool! how bad is the WP to replace in the 135i?

we have a little saying around our house... each car that sticks around gets 'The Slater Package', which, really, means i get free reign with it to do what i see fit to do to make it 100%. :) generally there are some liberties taken... ;) (incidentally my brother-in-law, who has been my best friend since grade 1 and knows me like a true brother, coined the phrase "The Slater Package" a looong time ago, and mostly in jest... but it's hung around. :) even my wife uses it!)

the Touring is going to get MTechII kit (except sideskirts, i like the stock ones), M3 rear end, 330i front brakes, 6-speed (unsure if ZF or getrag at this point), and either M54B30/ZHP/S54. might do the M54B30 for now and look for a wrecked M3. ideally, like jack olsen and his 911... i want "one car to do it all." and the Touring can do it... except carry more than 5 people, that is. :) but we have The Tank for that...

Nice! But that must have been expensive to get shipped all the way from there! Is this from eBay or something?

i bought the stuff from schmiedmann... they are a german BMW recycler, although they can get new parts too. they have some new global shipping rates for 2017 that made it really not all that bad! a bumper, the headliner and pillars are likely going to get palletized. total charge was $125USD to ship, but i wouldn't be surprised if that goes up. we'll see. :)

slater
01-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Oh my!! I always wanted a true ZHP touring. :)

it's going to have the aesthetics! the drivetrain will either be 330i/M3 hybrid, or M3. ;)

san
01-12-2017, 12:26 PM
S54 ftw!!

san
01-12-2017, 12:27 PM

Did you manage to dial in the supercharger to your liking rob?

Stigissimo
01-12-2017, 01:57 PM

wife is using the Touring today to transport her digital grand piano, with stand, to a studio about 3hrs away. the whole setup is massive. yay Touring! the piano itself fit in the sedan with the seats folded down (i tested), but the stand would not. she was bummed because she likes the sedan better, but that's because the shifter in the Touring is very stiff (not fluid-related; and it's temporary anyway until the 6-speed goes in). oh well. hopefully she bonds with the Touring over the long journey. ;)

I didn't know they made a black headliner for tourings at all! I'll be looking to do that. And you should def S54 swap ;)

Good tip about the Schmeidmann - maybe they'll have that elusive shadowline trim I've been looking for.

Edit: HOLY SMOKES! ~$250 for an entire black touring headliner/pillar set? Un freaking real! will be buying from this place 100%.

Edit 2: $%$@! they have full touring shadowline trim sets! Dude!!! Wish I had known about this place before reaching out to 4-5 ebay sellers, none of whom are interested in international shipping...

slater
01-12-2017, 02:37 PM
I didn't know they made a black headliner for tourings at all! I'll be looking to do that. And do the S54 swap ;)

Good tip about the Schmeidmann - maybe they'll have that elusive shadowline trim I've been looking for.

yep, a lot of euro Tourings got the black headliner (and MTechII bumpers!), we didn't get them here unfortunately. but schmiedmann dismantles the cars and has complete sets!

they also have the shadowline trim, but they won't ship it, unfortunately - i think you're just going to have to paint it with that SEM trim paint.

anandoc
01-12-2017, 03:42 PM
i bought the stuff from schmiedmann... they are a german BMW recycler, although they can get new parts too. they have some new global shipping rates for 2017 that made it really not all that bad! a bumper, the headliner and pillars are likely going to get palletized. total charge was $125USD to ship, but i wouldn't be surprised if that goes up. we'll see. :)

Thanks for the tip, Peter. I will look at them for any used parts going forward!

Sockethead
01-12-2017, 05:13 PM
haha, cool! how bad is the WP to replace in the 135i?

we have a little saying around our house... each car that sticks around gets 'The Slater Package', which, really, means i get free reign with it to do what i see fit to do to make it 100%. :) generally there are some liberties taken... ;) (incidentally my brother-in-law, who has been my best friend since grade 1 and knows me like a true brother, coined the phrase "The Slater Package" a looong time ago, and mostly in jest... but it's hung around. :) even my wife uses it!)

the Touring is going to get MTechII kit (except sideskirts, i like the stock ones), M3 rear end, 330i front brakes, 6-speed (unsure if ZF or getrag at this point), and either M54B30/ZHP/S54. might do the M54B30 for now and look for a wrecked M3. ideally, like jack olsen and his 911... i want "one car to do it all." and the Touring can do it... except carry more than 5 people, that is. :) but we have The Tank for that...

That's funny, It's good for your marriage that you guys have an understanding :) Kristen and I have the same passion for BMWs so it works out for us too... It can get expensive though when we both decide to do upgrades.

The touring is going to be one sweet machine. I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.

I don't know how hard the water pump will be to install. I have the part... It's huge and mounted externally

Did you manage to dial in the supercharger to your liking rob?

It's running really good right now. The AFR has to be close. I haven't done another datalog because it's been a little cold here and I don't want that to skew the results since its between 70 and 100 here 10 months out of the year...

slater
01-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the tip, Peter. I will look at them for any used parts going forward!

i think they're beneficial for hard-to-find euro stuff, for sure - like what i bought. for regular stuff you're better off shopping locally...

That's funny, It's good for your marriage that you guys have an understanding :) Kristen and I have the same passion for BMWs so it works out for us too... It can get expensive though when we both decide to do upgrades.

well, the upgrades are the hard part. she's OK with some stuff... but i typically don't do anything too frivolous. it has to be function first.... or a REALLY good deal. ;)

The touring is going to be one sweet machine. I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.

me too. i basically want it to drive just like my sedan, just with extra trunk space. my sedan is a hoot. it can cruise with the family or be a bit raucous. with the big trunk space it will be perfect.

I don't know how hard the water pump will be to install. I have the part... It's huge and mounted externally

weird. i bet that engine bay is cramped! i'll be thinkin' of ya... ;) :cheers

derbo
01-12-2017, 06:41 PM

Too bad this doesn't work. :rofl

slater
01-12-2017, 06:52 PM
LOL!!

az3579
01-12-2017, 07:03 PM

Too bad this doesn't work. :rofl

The thought of having a "basic" (read: useless) factory nav system, and then having manual temperature controls below it completely blows my mind.

Some of the "options" combos the Europeans order are hilarious.

slater
01-16-2017, 07:36 AM
well, i heard this morning from schmiedmann. $2100+ to ship the parts. what?

i cancelled the order. time for plan B. :)

Sockethead
01-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Holy crap! :eyetwitch

Stigissimo
01-16-2017, 12:06 PM

.... is that a joke?

slater
01-16-2017, 05:35 PM
.... is that a joke?

i wish it was!

az3579
01-16-2017, 06:20 PM

You didn't think it was gonna be cheap, did you? lol
International shipping of large items is a wallet drainer for sure!

slater
01-16-2017, 07:21 PM
You didn't think it was gonna be cheap, did you? lol
International shipping of large items is a wallet drainer for sure!

not always, i had my bilstein PSS shipped here for $100 from germany.

schmiedmann actually showed palletized shipping prices in their shopping cart system that did not seem overly enthusiastic... however the price they gave me today is more expensive that shipping an entire CAR, so they went the total opposite end of the spectrum. weird....

slater
01-23-2017, 01:47 PM
removed the roof rails last night... what sayest thou, mafia brethren? yay or nay? if i decide to keep them off, the full official 'de-rail' kit from BMW is $335. ouch. (it comes with all new black rails, with flaps for a bolt-on roof rack, like the sedan and coupe).

az3579
01-23-2017, 01:55 PM
I think it looks better with the rails. It's also a unique styling cue for the touring.

Vas
01-23-2017, 01:59 PM
+1 for the roof rails.

az3579
01-23-2017, 02:01 PM
BTW, good job on the pics, Peter. :)

BMWCurves
01-23-2017, 02:04 PM
I know this is asking a lot, but can you park the car in front of a light colored background? It's kind of hard to tell since the racks would normally fade into the brush background you have.

That said, I think I prefer the rails-on look, but that's just me. Maintains the utilitarian look without being overly so.

Just give me the damn thing!

anandoc
01-23-2017, 02:08 PM
I think I would like it with the rails on. As BP pointed out, the rails are part of the overall wagon styling and without them, it seems like something is just amiss...

ZHPizza
01-23-2017, 02:36 PM
Needs more mudflaps.

RUS_ZHP
01-23-2017, 02:38 PM
I don't like rails. Having a clean roof plus bolt on rack is the way to go in my opinion.
$335 for OEM kit? Madness.

san
01-23-2017, 02:41 PM
I think I like the no rails look...

Johnmadd
01-23-2017, 02:53 PM
I think I would keep the rails for functionality, but low stance would probably change my mind.

danewilson77
01-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Rails

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/baf749d3a88252406fe2bab5d5dba4bd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

slater
01-23-2017, 05:59 PM
I think it looks better with the rails. It's also a unique styling cue for the touring.

interesting point... i did consider that, as from the front it just looks like a sedan without them.

BTW, good job on the pics, Peter. :)

ha! :cheers

I know this is asking a lot, but can you park the car in front of a light colored background? It's kind of hard to tell since the racks would normally fade into the brush background you have.

That said, I think I prefer the rails-on look, but that's just me. Maintains the utilitarian look without being overly so.

Just give me the damn thing!

LOL. i think you can see it fine like i posted it. but i will try, if it's convenient. ;)

I think I would like it with the rails on. As BP pointed out, the rails are part of the overall wagon styling and without them, it seems like something is just amiss...

yeah, but to me, sometimes they just make the car seem so 'tall'...

Needs more mudflaps.

never thought about that... might be cool...

I don't like rails. Having a clean roof plus bolt on rack is the way to go in my opinion.
$335 for OEM kit? Madness.

yeah, madness... but yes, clean roof plus bolt-on rack was exactly what i liked. that, and supposedly you gain 2mpg by removing them! heck yeah! :)

I think I would keep the rails for functionality, but low stance would probably change my mind.

yep. it looks way different with different ride height and wheels.

Rails

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/baf749d3a88252406fe2bab5d5dba4bd.jpg

hey! you saved the pic i posted a while back. :)

that's kind of the look i originally wanted, the OEM euro 'M Sport' look... basically a ZHP Touring. ;) it does look awesome. just unsure on the rails. ;)

thanks all for your feedback! :cheers

hcbeck2689
01-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Keep the rails. I think it helps bring out the lines of the car. If it were a $20 change you could go back and forth on that would be one thing. But $335 is a lot of money with little return.

Vas
01-23-2017, 06:29 PM
Rails

Stigissimo
01-23-2017, 07:05 PM
Yes! I've been waiting for this.

A) Heres my take on the rails: Usually I like them, especially from the front/front quarter profile and on stock wagons. However, on Mtech wagons/sportier looking wagons (such as yours, especially with those sexy M5 wheels) and from the side profile in general I like the rail-less look.

B) So, you say, you can use stock base mounts from a sedan after losing the rails? I think that's the best look: sedan style roof racks with no rails. That being said, I haven't really been able to find with much success a cross bar set up that fits what I have in my mind for the rails.

C) Screw BMW for charging that much for the freakin moldings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stigissimo
01-23-2017, 07:26 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/d2033fc3e260552375c4fab8953d3ae2.jpg

My point about side profile and sporty wagons...

Dreamz

az3579
01-23-2017, 07:28 PM
Dunno, I find it looks so... naked... without the rails. I think it has to do with its larger rear proportions, breaking up the roof area from looking too straight.

ZHPizza
01-23-2017, 07:54 PM

Dreamz

Wow. That is just wow.

It sounds like the best course of action is to leave the rails until you (a) are going to drive it a long enough distance that you can make the mental math to justify the cost of those extra 2 mpg or (b) have the sportier bumpers installed and can repeat this photoshoot.

Stigissimo
01-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Wow. That is just wow.

It sounds like the best course of action is to leave the rails until you (a) are going to drive it a long enough distance that you can make the mental math to justify the cost of those extra 2 mpg or (b) have the sportier bumpers installed and can repeat this photoshoot.

+ 1 for that same course of action, unless you have sedan racks that you should 100% toss on there (so I can see it [emoji57])

Also, I think the rail-less look looks better in person than in pics.

Sockethead
01-23-2017, 08:08 PM
That M wagon looks like a baby E53 4.8is... cool!
I still can't make up my mind though, both ways have their merits. I guess that's where the removable rails come in. You'll be able to swap out as your mood dictates although they aren't quite the same as the wagon rail... Definitely a hard decision.

BMWCurves
01-23-2017, 09:34 PM

Dreamz

For some reason I quite like that little radio antenna on the back.

Stigissimo
01-23-2017, 09:35 PM

The bee stinger!

derbo
01-23-2017, 10:14 PM
Mmmm

slater
01-24-2017, 05:39 AM
Wow. That is just wow.

ha... the rear MTechII bumper is going to be a order-from-germany thing ($$$$), if i can even still get one... the front is easy.

that car above is a full M3-spec Touring with real M3 rear quarters and full front clip. it's really, really nice...

+ 1 for that same course of action, unless you have sedan racks that you should 100% toss on there (so I can see it [emoji57])

Also, I think the rail-less look looks better in person than in pics.

it definitely does. especially from the side. and i would love to toss the ARC-8's on temporarily to see how it looks with those...

LOL @ the "so i can see it" comment. ;) i will have to pull the drain rail pieces to try to test-fit the sedan rack. i know the front will be fine, it's the rear rack that will need mods done to the feet (otherwise the rear rack piece will sit raked forward).

That M wagon looks like a baby E53 4.8is... cool!
I still can't make up my mind though, both ways have their merits. I guess that's where the removable rails come in. You'll be able to swap out as your mood dictates although they aren't quite the same as the wagon rail... Definitely a hard decision.

well, i would never have the sedan rails on unless i was actually using them. i like the smooth-top look.

ha. me too. not all Tourings have them, not sure if it was a facelift thing or not. mine does.

slater
01-24-2017, 05:45 AM
here's a couple pics where i think the rail-less look is good...

the rogue S54-swapped Touring (this car is japanrot like mine, so it's the best comparison):

lower than i would go, and ditch the stickers obviously, but this looks really nice with those E36 M3 wheels:

our own esteemed stuart... pre-widebody days:

san
01-24-2017, 06:31 AM
Yup, I vote for no rails...

Stigissimo
01-24-2017, 07:06 AM
ha... the rear MTechII bumper is going to be a order-from-germany thing ($$$$), if i can even still get one... the front is easy.

I'll trade you my MTechII for your full shadowline set... fair?!

+1 to Arc-8s. I see some in my car's future.

az3579
01-24-2017, 07:14 AM

This dude's cray.

johnrando
01-24-2017, 07:26 AM
I always liked the rails but on the right cars (similar to the ones you posted), railless looks really clean.

Stigissimo
01-24-2017, 07:28 AM
This dude's cray.

:rofl

slater
01-24-2017, 07:44 AM

hmmmmm............................. maybe!! :)

danewilson77
01-24-2017, 08:23 AM
I do as well. It's kind of, well, like flipping everyone off. "Yeah, I'm a wagon! Got something to say? Didn't think so"

az3579
01-24-2017, 08:32 AM
I do as well. It's kind of, well, like flipping everyone off. "Yeah, I'm a wagon! Got something to say? Didn't think so"

I wish I can convert to it. The antenna in the back glass is a terrible solution; my reception has gone to crap. :(

Stigissimo
01-24-2017, 08:34 AM
I wish I can convert to it. The antenna in the back glass is a terrible solution; my reception has gone to crap. :(

...you listen to the radio?

danewilson77
01-24-2017, 09:35 AM

I do as well

Stigissimo
01-24-2017, 09:42 AM
I do as well

Plebs!

Sockethead
01-24-2017, 10:25 AM

You checked the connections behind the C pillar? That's usually the cause of poor reception...

slater
01-24-2017, 11:51 AM

heh. my wife listens to the radio. i don't typically listen to anything, except the engine or maybe some metal. it's my place of solace. :)

Stigissimo
01-24-2017, 12:18 PM
heh. my wife listens to the radio. i don't typically listen to anything, except the engine or maybe some metal. it's my place of solace. :)

Join the aux revolution!

+1 to occasional silence, so I can hear that straight 6 purrrrr .... plus I'm used to it as my last scheisswagen didn't have a functional radio.

az3579
01-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Umm... yeah?

slater
01-25-2017, 06:45 AM
just because i was curious... here is a poorly-photoshopped merging of my two cars. :) (both pics taken in the same spot, same angle).

kinda gives an idea of what the rail-less Touring would look like with the MTechII kit and my ARC-8s.

i think it looks pretty cool!

san
01-25-2017, 06:53 AM
Looks good! Are you a fan of clears? I think they will make the touring look a little more unique...

Edit: nice photoshop skills btw

ZHPizza
01-25-2017, 07:16 AM
just because i was curious... here is a poorly-photoshopped merging of my two cars. :) (both pics taken in the same spot, same angle).

kinda gives an idea of what the rail-less Touring would look like with the MTechII kit and my ARC-8s.

i think it looks pretty cool!

Whoa. That's it. That did it. That's your badass family hauler.

I like how the rail-less look makes the rear spoiler flow right off the roof line.

Looks good! Are you a fan of clears? I think they will make the touring look a little more unique...

I agree. The clears would really pop on the red and match the finish on the Arc-8's.

slater
01-25-2017, 08:03 AM

LOL, thanks, i'm sure someone who is waaaay better at PS could have made it blend a lot nicer - especially color-wise.

i am a fan of the clears on japanrot, and i have a set of new OEM red/clear taillights sitting in my garage. just need to get the fronts. that said, i also like the ambers. ;)

i will likely put my gloss black BMW Performance grilles on the Touring - they look good with japanrot.

Whoa. That's it. That did it. That's your badass family hauler.

I like how the rail-less look makes the rear spoiler flow right off the roof line.

haha... yeah, when i finished the photoshop i sat back and compared it to the sedan pic (below). both look cool, but the Touring is just kinda... whoa.

unfortunately i was on my way out with the sedan to help a friend and had trunk full of tools, so there's like 150lbs of stuff in the trunk... normally the sedan sits a bit higher in the back.

Stigissimo
01-25-2017, 08:16 AM
Peter! Side view looks excellent, and the arc-8's complete it. That's bad ass.

As pizza/san said, your car would benefit from clears.

Are those 17 or 18" apex's?

Sockethead
01-25-2017, 08:22 AM
Looks great Peter I think rail less is the way to go

slater
01-25-2017, 08:39 AM
Peter! Side view looks excellent, and the arc-8's complete it. That's bad ass.

As pizza/san said, your car would benefit from clears.

thanks! and yeah... i will try the clears. it's really the tails that do it, since the inners are red/clear already.

Are those 17 or 18" apex's?

they're 18x8.5", ET38. 245/35/18 PSS.

Looks great Peter I think rail less is the way to go

yeah - it definitely looks different with the MTechII bumpers and the ARC-8s! (and lowered a bit)

and.... man, i am nuts! look at this! another... how did i take these at the same angles? weird!

BMWCurves
01-25-2017, 09:47 AM
This thing will look so good when you're done with it.

slater
01-25-2017, 11:32 AM
This thing will look so good when you're done with it.

thanks man.

the hardest part is now: do i actually do this project and use my sedan as the donor, and build a sweet ZHP Touring? or keep my sedan as-is and sell the Touring, which fits in well with me trying to scale back commitments for 2017?

it might take me months to decide.

BMWCurves
01-25-2017, 11:55 AM
thanks man.

the hardest part is now: do i actually do this project and use my sedan as the donor, and build a sweet ZHP Touring? or keep my sedan as-is and sell the Touring, which fits in well with me trying to scale back commitments for 2017?

No. No no no. You can't just start talking dirty to me with this ZHP wagon and then tell me I have to wait. You do it NOW

And I am 100% for gutting the ZHP sedan for the Touring. It'll be hard emotionally. But if I somehow found a good shaped touring local to me for a good price, I'd be hard pressed not to switch over to it, despite the expense and the time outlay. A touring that could last me even longer than my coupe due to the added utility.

san
01-25-2017, 12:02 PM
thanks man.

I think from the money perspective you would be better off selling the Zhp instead of touring as the Zhp will probably fetch you more money... but then again I think you said the touring has some rust issues which would cost you money to fix to maybe in the end you'd end up even with either...

Hmmm...

az3579
01-25-2017, 12:23 PM
Not a fan of the 'gut the ZHP' idea. You already have an awesome sedan... not sure why you'd want to tear it apart.

slater
01-25-2017, 12:29 PM
No. No no no. You can't just start talking dirty to me with this ZHP wagon and then tell me I have to wait. You do it NOW

And I am 100% for gutting the ZHP sedan for the Touring. It'll be hard emotionally. But if I somehow found a good shaped touring local to me for a good price, I'd be hard pressed not to switch over to it, despite the expense and the time outlay. A touring that could last me even longer than my coupe due to the added utility.

yeah, and that's really where i'm at too. the utility is awesome. and i would 100% take this over the montero for most family trips because it's so much better on gas, and more comfy (for me, anyway, LOL). it just makes sense.

but it will be a lot of work. not just to do the swap, but to pull the headliner to recover in black (i gotta go all the way...), have body work done, paintwork done, etc. the nice part is, my sedan is 100% mechanically and everything is up to spec, so when the swap is done... well, the Touring would be 100% up to spec. :)

I think from the money perspective you would be better off selling the Zhp instead of touring as the Zhp will probably fetch you more money... but then again I think you said the touring has some rust issues which would cost you money to fix to maybe in the end you'd end up even with either...

financially speaking, i would be better off selling the Touring. because i could make some money on it, whereas with the ZHP... well, i've got more into it than i could sell it for. ;) i would walk away keeping a sweet ZHP sedan and would have some cash on top. my wife would be happier with this scenario. ;)

however, if i sold the ZHP and then had to BUY EVERYTHING i would need to put into it to make it The Slater Package... it actually would cost me about $2000 more than if i gutted the ZHP sedan, used what i needed, and parted the rest. it sounds odd at first, but my excel spreadsheet isn't lying. and then it would be a 330iT, not a 330iT ZHP. ;) (because i already have an M54B30, 6-speed and M3 rear end sitting here.)

and yes, there is some bodywork to be done on the Touring. the only rust is the RR arch where it meets the bumper, and a tiny bit of surface rust on the bottom edge of the tailgate. otherwise there is a dent in the LR arch that needs to be pulled, and i would have to have the entire MTechII kit painted (not a big deal, but added up that's about $1200-$1500 worth of work).

the other factor is that the Touring is a 1-owner car (well, 2 now ;)), is an '05 (factory reinforcement piece in the RACP - but i'd go all VinceBar-mental on it anyway), no accident history, and is actually cleaner underneath than the ZHP sedan.

but is all of that - and the added utility - worth the time and effort? that's my decision. it's a toughie.

slater
01-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Not a fan of the 'gut the ZHP' idea. You already have an awesome sedan... not sure why you'd want to tear it apart.

see my post above. ;) some folks just love Tourings... i happen to be one.

san
01-25-2017, 12:38 PM
yeah, and that's really where i'm at too. the utility is awesome. and i would 100% take this over the montero for most family trips because it's so much better on gas, and more comfy (for me, anyway, LOL). it just makes sense.

but it will be a lot of work. not just to do the swap, but to pull the headliner to recover in black (i gotta go all the way...), have body work done, paintwork done, etc. the nice part is, my sedan is 100% mechanically and everything is up to spec, so when the swap is done... well, the Touring would be 100% up to spec. :)

financially speaking, i would be better off selling the Touring. because i could make some money on it, whereas with the ZHP... well, i've got more into it than i could sell it for. ;) i would walk away keeping a sweet ZHP sedan and would have some cash on top. my wife would be happier with this scenario. ;)

however, if i sold the ZHP and then had to BUY EVERYTHING i would need to put into it to make it The Slater Package... it actually would cost me about $2000 more than if i gutted the ZHP sedan, used what i needed, and parted the rest. it sounds odd at first, but my excel spreadsheet isn't lying. and then it would be a 330iT, not a 330iT ZHP. ;) (because i already have an M54B30, 6-speed and M3 rear end sitting here.)

and yes, there is some bodywork to be done on the Touring. the only rust is the RR arch where it meets the bumper, and a tiny bit of surface rust on the bottom edge of the tailgate. otherwise there is a dent in the LR arch that needs to be pulled, and i would have to have the entire MTechII kit painted (not a big deal, but added up that's about $1200-$1500 worth of work).

the other factor is that the Touring is a 1-owner car (well, 2 now ;)), is an '05 (factory reinforcement piece in the RACP - but i'd go all VinceBar-mental on it anyway), no accident history, and is actually cleaner underneath than the ZHP sedan.

but is all of that - and the added utility - worth the time and effort? that's my decision. it's a toughie.

I actually meant the money you would get for a stock-ish Zhp, assuming you would keep/transfer all your mods vs touring, but you covered that in your post [emoji4]

slater
01-25-2017, 12:49 PM
I actually meant the money you would get for a stock-ish Zhp, assuming you would keep/transfer all your mods vs touring, but you covered that in your post [emoji4]

yeah... de-modding the ZHP... i could, but there's so much more than the mods - it's the engine, the maintenance, the interior trim, etc.... i want all of it in the Touring. :)

ZHPizza
01-25-2017, 01:06 PM
Man, Peter.

Reading through all these mind hurdles that you've been trying to overcome...I've only got one question...

When's the last time you got some sleep?

Stigissimo
01-25-2017, 02:11 PM
I am of the opinion that a perfectly good ZHP, being as rare as they are, shouldn't be gutted for a project car. Instead, it's better to save the life of a wrecked ZHP so its organs can live on in your sicknasty wagon.

Sell your mint ZHP, keep the Arc-8s and any mods, and buy the best salvage ZHP you can find and plunk dat shit right into the wag.

slater
01-25-2017, 06:32 PM
Man, Peter.

Reading through all these mind hurdles that you've been trying to overcome...I've only got one question...

When's the last time you got some sleep?

ha. sometime around 2004...

I am of the opinion that a perfectly good ZHP, being as rare as they are, shouldn't be gutted for a project car. Instead, it's better to save the life of a wrecked ZHP so its organs can live on in your sicknasty wagon.

Sell your mint ZHP, keep the Arc-8s and any mods, and buy the best salvage ZHP you can find and plunk dat shit right into the wag.

yeah, but three things;

1. it's still my car. ;) and it wouldn't be a 'project car' - this is my DD. it hauls my family. that's the whole idea! so Top Grade AAA beef is my main objective. plus... i'm effectively building something rarer. it's not like we're talking 3.0CSLs here.

2. finding wrecked ZHPs up here... yeah, not gonna happen. plus, then i have ZERO idea of maintenance history on stuff... i've replaced everything on my sedan, so it's a known quantity.

3. selling my ZHP, buying everything over again... it actually costs more. why do that?

Stigissimo
01-26-2017, 01:21 PM
yeah, but three things;

1. it's still my car. ;) and it wouldn't be a 'project car' - this is my DD. it hauls my family. that's the whole idea! so Top Grade AAA beef is my main objective. plus... i'm effectively building something rarer. it's not like we're talking 3.0CSLs here.

2. finding wrecked ZHPs up here... yeah, not gonna happen. plus, then i have ZERO idea of maintenance history on stuff... i've replaced everything on my sedan, so it's a known quantity.

3. selling my ZHP, buying everything over again... it actually costs more. why do that?

1) True, we're not talking 3.0CSLs, and 2) totally forgot you were in canada. Yeah that would be tough, and finding one that meets your standards even tougher.

3) Must be geographical differences - If I had and sold your ZHP I could certainly buy a salvaged one with a swappable drivetrain/interior for less than the sale price of the car, and still have a bunch left over for any needed aesthetic bits.

Really what you should do is M3 swap it :) That's what I was planning to do to my TiAg touring until I found serious subframe tearing, which led to me buying the ZHP swapped wag instead. Then again, a full on M3 swap project doesn't really fit the whole "simplifying" theme does it :rofl

derbo
01-26-2017, 01:42 PM
The struggles of the 1st world. :)

slater
01-26-2017, 01:51 PM
1) True, we're not talking 3.0CSLs, and 2) totally forgot you were in canada. Yeah that would be tough, and finding one that meets your standards even tougher.

3) Must be geographical differences - If I had and sold your ZHP I could certainly buy a salvaged one with a swappable drivetrain/interior for less than the sale price of the car, and still have a bunch left over for any needed aesthetic bits.

Really what you should do is M3 swap it :) That's what I was planning to do to my TiAg touring until I found serious subframe tearing, which led to me buying the ZHP swapped wag instead. Then again, a full on M3 swap project doesn't really fit the whole "simplifying" theme does it :rofl

you have to remember that the US got about 10x the amount of ZHPs that we got up here... if i try importing a wrecked ZHP from the US... not worth the effort or expense (or divorce, LOL).

i toyed with the M3 swap idea, quite a bit - while i would love to, long-term it just doesn't seem like a good idea for me. i'd rather keep the M54B30. my goal for this car (and any car, really) is a balance of reliability and fun. yeah - it's anything but 'simplifying' - it's not a hard swap, but it is involved... and to swap everything over from my sedan is a much less stressful ordeal.

slater
01-26-2017, 01:53 PM
The struggles of the 1st world. :)

i know, right? SO DUMB!!!

slater
01-30-2017, 09:34 AM
received everything i need for a black headliner/pillar swap from germany today! (minus the actual headliner - too large to ship.) i want to recover the headliner myself (i found the material). everything is in really nice shape.

from yesterday morning - chillin' in my in-laws' garage while we were visiting. had a great trip with the Touring and the Fam, this thing rocks for road trips. on our way home we stopped for coffee and outside an alpine white E91 M Sport pulls up... lady gets out, comes into starbucks. without even really thinking i asked her "would you consider selling that?" she said "actually, yes." and took my number. oh crap. E91 M Sport is a crazy kind of unicorn... but it's a steptronic, which is a detractor, but.... but...

oh crap.

704sw
01-30-2017, 09:49 AM
received everything i need for a black headliner/pillar swap from germany today! (minus the actual headliner - too large to ship.) i want to recover the headliner myself (i found the material). everything is in really nice shape.

from yesterday morning - chillin' in my in-laws' garage while we were visiting. had a great trip with the Touring and the Fam, this thing rocks for road trips. on our way home we stopped for coffee and outside an alpine white E91 M Sport pulls up... lady gets out, comes into starbucks. without even really thinking i asked her "would you consider selling that?" she said "actually, yes." and took my number. oh crap. E91 M Sport is a crazy kind of unicorn... but it's a steptronic, which is a detractor, but.... but...

oh crap.

Mmm alpine white E91. If it were a 6MT, no iDrive, and had saddle brown leather, I'd be peer pressuring the crap out of you.

Sockethead
01-30-2017, 09:50 AM
You have a sickness. You need to get help ASAP

az3579
01-30-2017, 09:58 AM
The E46 is better.

704sw
01-30-2017, 10:05 AM
The E46 is better.

I agree. I'm starting to think I just have this thing for unicorns?

ZHPizza
01-30-2017, 10:06 AM
It's like you're Snow White, but instead of attracting woodland creatures, it's BMW unicorns.

slater
01-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Mmm alpine white E91. If it were a 6MT, no iDrive, and had saddle brown leather, I'd be peer pressuring the crap out of you.

LOL. i didn't see the interior. but the M Sport bumpers are amazing...

You have a sickness. You need to get help ASAP

i know.... 12-step help.

step 1: buy E91 unicor-

...nevermind. :)

The E46 is better.

interior-wise, yes. i love the way the E91 looks on the outside.

I agree. I'm starting to think I just have this thing for unicorns?

you and me both, man.

it's nice having something unique that no one else has.

It's like you're Snow White, but instead of attracting woodland creatures, it's BMW unicorns.

ahh yes, The Unicorn Magnet. the force is strong with this one.

san
01-30-2017, 10:20 AM
interior-wise, yes. i love the way the E91 looks on the outside.

I have exactly the opposite opinion lol
I like the e46 exterior but the e90 interior

Sockethead
01-30-2017, 10:24 AM
That looks a lot like our X1 M Sport which is based on the e9x platform

BMWCurves
01-30-2017, 10:26 AM
The M-sport E91 is another wagon I lust after, but I still prefer the E46's looks, both inside and out.

You really do attract unicorns.

slater
01-30-2017, 10:46 AM
The M-sport E91 is another wagon I lust after, but I still prefer the E46's looks, both inside and out.

You really do attract unicorns.

i know. it's weird.

when are you getting a Touring? ;)

BMWCurves
01-30-2017, 11:22 AM
i know. it's weird.

when are you getting a Touring? ;)

If a well maintained and fair priced one rolled in front of me in a color I liked, I might.

For now I'll have to "settle" for my baby. It almost feels like cheating on my coupe thinking about a touring :shifty

slater
01-30-2017, 11:49 AM
If a well maintained and fair priced one rolled in front of me in a color I liked, I might.

For now I'll have to "settle" for my baby. It almost feels like cheating on my coupe thinking about a touring :shifty

hahahaha....

johnrando
01-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Good luck with the replacement, looks like a good set.

holyc0w
02-04-2017, 03:25 PM

Did somebody say 6MT, no iDrive and saddle brown

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2012-bmw-328/

704sw
02-04-2017, 03:34 PM

I'm going to say "halogens are a deal breaker" so I can sleep better.

Wait, shit! I have a pair of OE E90 projectors in my storage unit, just waiting for a retrofit.

az3579
02-04-2017, 03:45 PM

Can't get over how boringly straight the non-iDrive dash is...

704sw
02-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Can't get over how boringly straight the non-iDrive dash is...

I think it's much more pronounced with the silver trim. Dark birch would look pretty nice in there with the saddle dakota.

slater
02-04-2017, 05:19 PM
i spent about 10min this morning ooh-ing and ahh-ing over that listing... but i bet it's going to hit $25K, at least. too rich for me. but that's my ideal E91 right there! wowzers. perfect.

az3579
02-04-2017, 07:19 PM
i spent about 10min this morning ooh-ing and ahh-ing over that listing... but i bet it's going to hit $25K, at least. too rich for me. but that's my ideal E91 right there! wowzers. perfect.

Perhaps we can bust some kneecaps to deter people from bidding. Just saying...

704sw
02-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Perhaps we can bust some kneecaps to deter people from bidding. Just saying...

^ I like the way this guy thinks ^

az3579
02-04-2017, 07:44 PM
^ I like the way this guy thinks ^

Thought about doing that for the Estoril, but my judgement prevailed. :shifty

RUS_ZHP
02-04-2017, 07:57 PM
Agree, my ideal car as well.
Not a long ago I was talking with the owner of this car below. I don't have pictures of the interior, but it's saddle. Owner said that it took him more than 6 month to find it.

Premium for these cars is outrageous.

Sockethead
02-05-2017, 07:43 AM
I think it's much more pronounced with the silver trim. Dark birch would look pretty nice in there with the saddle Dakota.

We had the dark birch in our X1 (basically the same dash) and we really liked it