Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Project Fatazz (Garage/DIY Swapped E46 M3 rear end)

This thread is to chronicle my swapping of an E46 M3 rear end into my ZHP, (hopefully) not having to go to a garage for anything, just elbow grease and my own garage.

Why? To give the car an LSD so the forced induction system that was installed can put the power down properly
    Where? Complete swap should be accomplished all in house, in the garage
    How much? Depends.... See details below
    Swear words thrown? 6 so far and counting.......
    Mindset? yea, still in flux. Key thing to remember though!!!! You are buying parts for an M3, NOT a regular E46, this is critically important as a lot of parts are NOT interchangeable

Costs? (will update as I build it up and buy parts)
    Complete Rear End - $700
    Bushing Refresh Kit - $600
    CV Boots (inner and outer - 2x) - $175
    Tool Rental (Koch rear bushing tool- rented from e46fanatics user) - $100
    36MM 12Point Socket - $10
    Rear Wheel Bearing (2x) - $80
    Rear Wheel Bearing Lock Ring (2x) - $6
    Rear Wheel Bearing Hub Nut (2x) - $24
    Left brake cover - $25
    Right brake cover - $25
    Rear Caliper rebuild kit - $120
    Rear Emergency Brake Rebuild Kit - $140
    Redline 75W140 GL-5 Diff Oil - $40

Starting Part list:
    2002 E46 M3 Complete rear end with 144K miles on it. Contains everything minus E-brakes, rotors and pads

Swapped in part list:
    Complete Rear End Bushing Refresh kit - http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2500766/
    Inner CV Boots (2x) - http://www.ecstuning.com/ES258448/
    Outer CV Boots (2x) - http://www.ecstuning.com/ES57063/
    Emergency Brake build - (still sourcing all the parts from ECS - but about $100 for both sides)
    Rotors and Pads - (haven't ordered or looked yet but i'll probably hit up brake yourself)
    Differential Oil - http://www.ecstuning.com/ES197413/
    Rear Driveshaft - (haven't sourced it yet but bmrparts.com has some rebuilt for about $300 shipped)
    Rear Wheel Bearing (2x) - Autohausaz
    Rear Wheel Bearing Lock Ring (2x) - Autohausaz
    Rear Wheel Bearing Hub Nut (2x) - Autohausaz

Helpful Links:
    DIY CV Boot Replacements - http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=306997
    DIY Rear end replacement - http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=464146

Complete Rear End before teardown (I put it on three furniture dollies to make it easy to move around and breakdown - Lifesaver right there, if you do this project, DO THIS!! $11/each at harbor freight)
    [img][/img]
    Last edited by bullfrogs_M3; 12-09-2014 at 02:53 PM.

I really have no idea what I am doing

(Picture and update post holder)

First thing a lot of people are going to say.... "Why are you replacing all of the bushings like that"?
    1. The rear end came out of Colorado, i.e.: Snow, Salt, rust..... Due to this, there were a significant amount of seized bolts and seriously scary looking bushings, due to rust, not bad deep rust, just surface rust.
    2. At 145K miles, I don't know when the last time ANY of the bushings were replaced. I want what is essentially a brand new rear end that will make it another 100K miles, or as close to that as possible)
    3. More of point 2, I don't want to have to get under the rear end again in 40-50K miles to replace a bushing that I could of done during the tear down and reassembly
    4. I don't want to get POLY on any of it. I want a nice OEM ride quality coming out of the rear end. A lot of people say i should of gotten poly on a lot of the bushings, but I don't want a stiff ride. I want something that will ride nice but still respond well since i am not an aggressive driver at all. OEM and ECS upgrade bushings will meet those requirements.

Tear down pics:

Carrier, wishbones, sway bar and trailing arms removed

Halfshafts (or are they called axles? Whatever, i call em half shafts) removed from diff

Removing the wheel hubs from the wheel bearings and half shafts

I really don't swing that way BMW but.....okay :/ AND it's going in my rear end? ..............no comment

Wheel hub pulled off the wheel bearing races along with it. This is where I might have to have a garage come into play. I cannot for the life of me get this race off of the hub and new hubs cost $100/each!!!!!!!!! I really REALLY don't want to have to buy brand new wheel hubs

Starting to tear into the CV Boots to replace them. The amount of grease in these things is astronomical. I mean, these things are packed with massive amounts of grease.

A pile of rear end parts waiting for me to get to them to wire brush, clean up and respray with a good couple coats of rust protection and paint. Should I do a candy cane paint job on my half shafts? lol
    Last edited by bullfrogs_M3; 11-20-2014 at 12:44 PM.

(picture and update post holder)

Bushings pulled out of the diff carrier (Correction Rear Subframe Carrier - thanks Whammy)

Rebuilding the inner cv boot, cleaning up the old bearings and gear assembly and then repacking with Redline CV2 grease

Got the wheel bearing race off the hub. Scored it with the dremel and then banged on it a little bit until the score "broke" the race and started to spin

Both of the wheel hubs cleaned up with the wire wheels and some degreaser. You can see where I slightly scored the hub when I was trying to dremel off the race. Not too worried about it, since it is a very small surface score and the wheel bearing will completely cover it up anyway.

Cleaned up the calipers and caliper brackets with a wire wheel....little bit of the ///M coming through. Might have to do a tri color setup on the M "hashes" (what are they even called anyway?) when I do the painting.
    Last edited by bullfrogs_M3; 11-30-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Wire brushed everything and then put the first coat down of the spray paint

Paint I used to spray everything a couple times

Wheel bearing installed, E-brake setup and calipers put on

Painted and did a quick "no-bolt" assembly to see how it looks

Last edited by bullfrogs_M3; 05-18-2015 at 02:42 PM.

GL w/the project!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Subscribed.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

CANDY CANE! CANDY CANE! Do it!!!
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Sweet buddy!! I love the pictures. When you are done, please try out my M Track mode setup for NCSexpert

Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast