Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It's "Take your Car to Work" night!

So I went to the office to work late and strategize the future and finished early! My car looked somewhat cold and sad being all alone in a dark parking lot knowing that the expansion of the office meant temporary warm space for her inside the new warehouse conversion. When I said she can come in she was happy as can be even being a little bit of a dirty girl...

Showing off her dirty side from splashing in a mud puddle on the way to the office:

She really needs a good cut polish:

Balancing it out, the "cleaner" side:

She insisted on the glamour shot:

And here is an overview on my lighting setup. I pointed 12 desk lamps equipped with 20w CFL bulbs towards the car, the walls, and the ceiling to create a nice warm light. Two of the same lamps were used to light the ground & the dark side of the car since there were unused power plugs at my disposal:

I also used my LED array to light up parts where I couldn't get wired light to:

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my pictures sharper. I think my mistake was forgetting to turn off IS when using a tripod? I'm temporarily using a Canon T4i with a kit 18-135mm STM lens. I'm assuming some of you who can create these ultra clear shots are using the epic creating L lens? Maybe my technique is off...still learning. Also I tried using F22 on the lens but it was so soft compared to using F10 so I stuck with the more open apertures. Maybe my lighting is off to help create definition. Maybe I really need strobes so I can snap at 1/60 instead of long 4-8 second exposures. Any advice from the pro's would be sure useful!!
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Awesome pics Trevor. That first pic, is the only pic, I will ever endorse with the wheels turned not showing any rim. Looks great.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Looks good Trevor. I have no advice for you on the camera, but the end pics def arent you best. You take some awesome shots outside. Yu will figure it out.

D
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

funny i brought my car into work today too.

as for the sharpness, could be the lens is bad. I certainly make use of the L lenses I own but I also use my 50mm (non L) for a lot also. just depends on how your camera/lens are calibrated too.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

i was noticing the IS was jiggling the image when I was on a steady ground just moving the tripod and tapping rotation into position. I'm also thinking of getting rid of the T4i and going to a D5200. I heard it has a new Toshiba CMOS sensor for better video which nearly equals the 5DMKIII which is more my goal. The T4i's touchscreen is a gem though!! I think I need 2 or 3 wireless strobes for indoor photography than to depend on ambient lights/desklamps. LOL
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

I would say get some alien bees and a simple 50mm 1.4 if anything. Get more lighting and quicker shutter speed should do the trick. Of course Cali is the place to be to purchase any equipment. Also if you are on a tripod then yes turn off the IS and just shoot. The lighting in the background seems a tad overexpose which would give you the super bright lights as mentioned in someone's night photography the other day. Keep at it and I would say just get another lens

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

trevor, you make me seriously consider RCR tails and clears.. :X good pics

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    i was noticing the IS was jiggling the image when I was on a steady ground just moving the tripod and tapping rotation into position. I'm also thinking of getting rid of the T4i and going to a D5200. I heard it has a new Toshiba CMOS sensor for better video which nearly equals the 5DMKIII which is more my goal. The T4i's touchscreen is a gem though!! I think I need 2 or 3 wireless strobes for indoor photography than to depend on ambient lights/desklamps. LOL

I normally shoot a car with 2 lights or less, most times 1. Upgrading cameras isn't always the issue. I can take the same shots on my 5D2 as my 7D or my 50D for that matter. Solidifying your technique will always yield better results than just upgrading equipment.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Always likes your pics and captions Trev!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    I normally shoot a car with 2 lights or less, most times 1. Upgrading cameras isn't always the issue. I can take the same shots on my 5D2 as my 7D or my 50D for that matter. Solidifying your technique will always yield better results than just upgrading equipment.
    I totally agree with upgrading cameras for photos....but it seems like from a few reviews there is a difference in video which is more my priority as a sidekick to my already awesome video machine that screams in clarity and razor sharp detail compared to even the 5DMKIII. But it's being estimated and fixed right now so I need something in the mean time. I wouldn't worry much about the model if the competing model was the same brand but this is investing in a new ecosystem of which I am clean canvas. I've never owned a DSLR. I've made due with P&S and m4/3 cameras. Can you use alien bees for constant light? I could so use them for strobe photography and constant light video photography. I'd love if the equipment I add to my arsenal can be used for both still and motion.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast