So today I took the ZHP for its annual NYS $37 inspection at a local service station. A number family and friends use the station and have given it the thumbs up. Usually, when I have an issue outside my DIY expertise, I take my car to a BMW/Land Rover indy who is very honest and a great mechanic. I also usually have him do my inspections. However, I was a bit lazy this time and the place is right around the corner.

Anyway, guy says I can wait as it will only take a couple of minutes. Well I'm waiting about 45 minutes when one of the mechanics comes out and shows me a light bulb which he had pulled from the license plate bulb housing. He said the housing was very corroded and when he tried to replace the bulb it still failed to function. He took me to the car and showed me where he had unscrewed the entire "mini" spoiler which houses the license plate lights and trunk release. He opined that the bulb short circuited and melted to the trunk. I looked and looked but I could not see where it "melted" to the trunk.

Well then he and the owner huddled up with me and informed me that I will have to buy a whole new "mini" spoiler as BMW does make the individual license plate bulb housings as replacements. I said that is hard to believe, but he insisted. He then tells me that BMW only makes it in a matte black and that you have to get it painted. Also, that the one on my car is matte black. I stood there looking at my Orient blue "mini" spoiler not knowing what to say. He told me that the mini spoiler would cost about $100 and another $100 to get it painted. Deep down I knew this could not be, didn't make sense. I thought to myself that I must look like a real jackass to this guy. Well, I thanked him and took my car home.

I got home and looked the license plate housing and bulb up on Pelican Parts and found the white housing for the bulb for $6.95. The housing apparently just pops out and is easily replaced. Still dumbfounded. If I didn't know anything I probably would have told him to go ahead and order the parts.