Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    :If you are serious about track, the actual smart move is getting a dedicated set of track wheels.
    It all depends on your objective. I'm serious about the track. It is "my time." Others golf, fish, hunt or whatever. I go to the track. That said I'm past needing to be the fastest. I don't want to lug another set of wheels and tires to the track. When I did that I often ended up swapping my street tires back on when it got wet because I wasn't going to run r-comps.

These days I want to arrive and drive as much as possible. Also not having to spend as much time on my car at the track allows me to concentrate more on my students and just hang out.

There are many excellent tires available these days at multiple price points.

t.

Quote Originally Posted by tkundhi View Post
    It all depends on your objective. I'm serious about the track. It is "my time." Others golf, fish, hunt or whatever. I go to the track. That said I'm past needing to be the fastest. I don't want to lug another set of wheels and tires to the track. When I did that I often ended up swapping my street tires back on when it got wet because I wasn't going to run r-comps.

These days I want to arrive and drive as much as possible. Also not having to spend as much time on my car at the track allows me to concentrate more on my students and just hang out.

There are many excellent tires available these days at multiple price points.

t.
    All very good points. It's one reasons why I got tired of autocrossing. I got tired of switching tires every morning, putting all that work into it, for not very much seat time. I found that I wasted a lot of time "preparing" when I could've been hanging out having a good time.

I still swap tires for the track, but I wouldn't really have much time to hang out anyway considering the frequency of class and track time. Besides, I didn't want to run into a situation where my tires get trashed and can't get home; the closest track is over an hour away, and I'll find myself at faraway tracks more frequently in the coming seasons.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

BP, I went through a similar cycle. My friends and I travel for our track time. We are smack dab in the middle of the country. The closest track is a shithole and I haven't driven it in the past 3 or 4 years. We drive to many hours to visit tracks. We drove to Austin the last two years for the BMW event at COTA. We are trying to put together a week long trip that would take us to the east coast (VIR). We think we can hit 3 or 4 other tracks on the way there.

I'm really looking forward to this Sat. A group of us are doing a private event with some Corvette guys. At last count we'll have 5 ZHPs there. Should be interesting.

t.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    All very good points. It's one reasons why I got tired of autocrossing. I got tired of switching tires every morning, putting all that work into it, for not very much seat time. I found that I wasted a lot of time "preparing" when I could've been hanging out having a good time.

I still swap tires for the track, but I wouldn't really have much time to hang out anyway considering the frequency of class and track time. Besides, I didn't want to run into a situation where my tires get trashed and can't get home; the closest track is over an hour away, and I'll find myself at faraway tracks more frequently in the coming seasons.
    I usually bring my stock 135 set in the back seat just in case I need to drive home on them.

I have to say, I'm definitely looking into some Continental DW for replacement tires on the ZHP rims. They are significantly cheaper than the PSS and I don't need that great of handling tire since I have better tires on my track set.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    I usually bring my stock 135 set in the back seat just in case I need to drive home on them.

I have to say, I'm definitely looking into some Continental DW for replacement tires on the ZHP rims. They are significantly cheaper than the PSS and I don't need that great of handling tire since I have better tires on my track set.
    i don't understand you guys - "i don't need that great of handling", even on the street. man, EVERY time i am behind the wheel, i don't care if i'm going to the grocery store or a backroad blast, i want a dang good set of tires underneath me. maybe y'all aren't as sensitive as i am.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i don't understand you guys - "i don't need that great of handling", even on the street. man, EVERY time i am behind the wheel, i don't care if i'm going to the grocery store or a backroad blast, i want a dang good set of tires underneath me. maybe y'all aren't as sensitive as i am.

peter
    Peter, I think you are missing the point here slightly. Pliots are not the only good set of tires out there and the S04 or the Conti DW are just as good on a street driven car.

A little update on the DW. It has been raining here the past week and the Conti are showing their capability in the rain and standing water. Even the wife stated how much she is liking them in the rain.

As far as a comparison between the S04 and the DW, the bridgestone are more on the harsher side with the stiffer sidewall versus the Conti DW. But its not drastic or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Peter, I think you are missing the point here slightly. Pliots are not the only good set of tires out there and the S04 or the Conti DW are just as good on a street driven car.

A little update on the DW. It has been raining here the past week and the Conti are showing their capability in the rain and standing water. Even the wife stated how much she is liking them in the rain.

As far as a comparison between the S04 and the DW, the bridgestone are more on the harsher side with the stiffer sidewall versus the Conti DW. But its not drastic or bad.

i'm sorry if i'm coming off as being arrogant here. different strokes for different folks!

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post

peter
    To that I would have responded...

Precisely my point. The Pilot Super Sports are wasted on the street, IMO, as you would never be able to use the extra traction they provide over the 2nd or 3rd best tires in the category. As a result, I don't see the point of paying hundreds more for a set, hence why I settled for the S04's. *Almost* as much grip and performance as the PSS, but hundreds less a set when I bought mine. Win.

And so far, they are proving to have better tire life than PSS' mounted on other peoples' cars. Hard to compare different cars though.

Needless to say, really really cheap tires aren't worth it because the performance difference between those and the tires we're talking about is HUGE. These tires are so close that the only way to tell the difference other than noise, comfort, and tread life, is to take them to the absolute limit.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Good points are made about DD tire choice. However, to say something is a waste on the street is making assumptions about how one perceives value. The same logic applies to suspension or other performance upgrades. I now have PSS and they are stunningly good, wet or dry. The extra $200 a set they cost over the DW is not significant since they will last me for a few years (I use snows in the winter). I agree that the DW is a good choice and we are all fortunate for how tire technology has advanced.

Your favorite DD tires

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

I've noticed same in similar conditions this week on my DW's. Even at low temps of 45-50 deg
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast