Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    I was kind of wondering that too... From what I've read, nothing. Anyone know more about electricity than me? My humorously limited knowledge tells me that amps are more like gallons of fuel in the tank, whereas volts are likened to the octane?

Plus, I figure if it was stock for the 05' 325, it probably is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone
    A 325 huh? I can't imagine why that would be different. I wonder if that's for the SULEV 325.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    A 325 huh? I can't imagine why that would be different. I wonder if that's for the SULEV 325.
    Yeah, I'm not sure. Seems like a fairly logical explanation though. Well, not exactly logical, but at least an explanation.

I'm a couple hundred miles in and so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone

I had a SULEV and had some electrical issues at one point. Mechanics said the SULEV alternator was beefier than the regular cars to run the extra emissions stuff. That's my best guess.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

I need to upgrade the alternator in my car...the stock one is not only heavy (12lbs) but my volt meter sits just under 12V. so everytime I turn up the radio or use my blinkers, the gauge needles bounce up and down. Quite comical.

There is an alternative option from the Nissan Quest that fits right in there and lowers the weight significantly.

"You don't have to blow out my candle just to make yours shine brighter."
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    I need to upgrade the alternator in my car...the stock one is not only heavy (12lbs) but my volt meter sits just under 12V. so everytime I turn up the radio or use my blinkers, the gauge needles bounce up and down. Quite comical.

There is an alternative option from the Nissan Quest that fits right in there and lowers the weight significantly.

"You don't have to blow out my candle just to make yours shine brighter."
    You'd still be fixing your Porsche with Nissan Quest parts...

Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Hardest part is wiggling the old one out. I've done it a few times, but taking my time it took a solid half hour.

Sent from my iPhone
    when i removed mine for the first time recently to do the OFHG, i was gearing up for the 'pain' of alternator removal/install. it was super easy - i wiggled for 1min, used a flat pry-bar for some impact leverage, and it came out in under 30 seconds. install was just as easy, no issues with lining up bolts...

great deal on that alternator though - $120 for a new one is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    the 120A has about 1440W of power available for the entire car.
    the 150A has about 1800W of power available.

I wonder what the stock car requires in terms of Amperage.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenkirsh View Post
    I had a SULEV and had some electrical issues at one point. Mechanics said the SULEV alternator was beefier than the regular cars to run the extra emissions stuff. That's my best guess.
    this sounds entirely possible. i would assume there should be no ill-effects since you're not increasing the voltage.

i wonder what the price difference is between 120A and 150A units?

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

... that a 150 amp (vs the 120 in the zhp) from an '05 325i fits perfectly if you have the oval connector. They're around $120 at autozone too, so significantly less.

Part number 1108
    http://www.autozone.com/external-eng...8_100967_3001/

Sent from my iPhone
    I think I will get one of these and pop it into my ZHP....who knows? It might solve my alternator whine for good

I'm curious to know how many ZHP owners out there have the D-shaped connector on their alternators? Then when you look at your connectors, do all of you have only one wire attached to the D-shaped connector?

I recently looked at mine and noticed that there was only one wire attached to my D-shaped connector. Chad then checked his ZHP and noted the same configuration, so I was left wondering....

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post

this sounds entirely possible. i would assume there should be no ill-effects since you're not increasing the voltage.

peter
    Yes but be careful. The alternator has a higher capacity for amperage. With only a 30A difference in change, I don't believe there is any issue with this. If the alternator was changed to a 300A, there would definitely concern if the power and ground straps were capable of delivering that much power. In this scenario, I don't believe a 150A will have any danger in relation to wiring.

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    Yes but be careful. The alternator has a higher capacity for amperage. With only a 30A difference in change, I don't believe there is any issue with this. If the alternator was changed to a 300A, there would definitely concern if the power and ground straps were capable of delivering that much power. In this scenario, I don't believe a 150A will have any danger in relation to wiring.
    I don't think they changed the wiring harnesses for the '05 325... Been meaning to look that up though.

Sent from my iPhone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast