Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Have done the inspection I recommended above? It would be nice to rule out the easy stuff.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    No.. I'm mechanically retarded so I don't know how to inspect the things you mentioned except for maybe the MAF. Is that the plug that clips into my cold air intake? I installed the aFE CAI and I remember a sensor plugging into it. The other things you mentioned.. I have no clue what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Mmm...I would just take it to BMW, have them figure put what's wrong, authorize no repairs, until you know how much. Doesn't sound like your gonna DIY any of it?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    No DIY.. Don't have the tools, time, or knowledge. Do you suggest I go to a BMW dealership instead of a bmw-specific mechanic? I'd probably pay for an hour of labor, I'm assuming.

I would counsel against a dealership unless your trust fund has weathered recent market turmoil unscathed.

Look in the maintenance forum for a sticky on how to find a good local independent BMW shop.

Btw, we were all once brand new to this but the Internet has greatly enabled automotive DIY culture.

There are text and or video DIY procedures for anything E46 but if time, tools, a place to work, etc., are all in the way, go the indie shop route.

Note: 4 of the 5 items I recommend in my earlier post can leave you stranded and the 5th (vanos rebuild) will have to be done eventually and will pay you back in mpg as soon as it's done.

Warning: do not just tell some shop to rehab your VANOS unit. They'll bill you $500 (plus labor) for the rebuilt BMW version, which uses the same old problematic seals and you'll therefore be back on the VANOS down swing in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
    No.. I'm mechanically retarded so I don't know how to inspect the things you mentioned except for maybe the MAF. Is that the plug that clips into my cold air intake? I installed the aFE CAI and I remember a sensor plugging into it. The other things you mentioned.. I have no clue what you're talking about.

No DIY.. Don't have the tools, time, or knowledge. Do you suggest I go to a BMW dealership instead of a bmw-specific mechanic? I'd probably pay for an hour of labor, I'm assuming.
    Yes. I mean....us telling you what we think is wrong, may shed some light, but if you're not going to DIY, and take to an indy/dealer, they will figure it out and make the repairs. I mean...without looking at and performing some of the tests above, its just too hard to tell you what's up....for sure. Feel free to report back, with what they tell you is wrong. Especially if you smell bullshit.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

OP: didn't you have an extended warranty or was that someone else who bought a ZHP recently?

Make sure when you installed the AFE intake the harness that goes under the intake boots is in front of the MAF. Otherwise it can compress the boots and cause the car to run poorly. Unlikely if the car idles fine, but possible. While you are in there just make sure the boots aren't being constricted in any way. Easy/good place to start - car needs air.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

Quote Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
    OP: didn't you have an extended warranty or was that someone else who bought a ZHP recently?
    Correct. I bought my ZHP at the dealership at the end of June and got a warranty with it. I'm worried the CAI and angel eyes will void it though...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    Make sure when you installed the AFE intake the harness that goes under the intake boots is in front of the MAF. Otherwise it can compress the boots and cause the car to run poorly. Unlikely if the car idles fine, but possible. While you are in there just make sure the boots aren't being constricted in any way. Easy/good place to start - car needs air.
    Not sure what harness you're referring to -- again, sort of a car noob here. But I do recall being meticulous with my install.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
    Correct. I bought my ZHP at the dealership at the end of June and got a warranty with it. I'm worried the CAI and angel eyes will void it though...

Not sure what harness you're referring to -- again, sort of a car noob here. But I do recall being meticulous with my install.
    Not sure either. The only thing I have that goes under boots is MAF sensor wires.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

If the MAF is not perfectly horisontal, the readings can be off and effect performance. Always make sure you route the connections as similar to stock as possible.

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    If the MAF is not perfectly horisontal, the readings can be off and effect performance. Always make sure you route the connections as similar to stock as possible.

Not trying to argue or anything, but how would the MAF not be perfectly horizontal? All I had to do was clip it in until it clicked..

Just try rotating the MAF 180° and judging the performance. I'm not sure why it happens. But it's effected me with a long tube CAI. Made sure to keep it level with stock factory settings for best results. aFe should have the option to clip in, so it shouldn't be an issue, but if not level it will rear it's ugly head.

Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast