Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why no M3 set up?

I'm looking at wheels, and was wondering what is the specific reasons M3 setups won't work, and all the distributors say for non-M only.

I want the wider stance and currently run 265s in the back. I know I could go with a little less ET and haven't even rolled my fenders yet.

Would like to run 255s in front on 8.5s and 275s in rear on 9.5s. Also want a square set up of 255s on 8.5s, and I know that's doable.

Well the M3 is basically a different chassis as the body work and subframes are M specific. It also has an entirely different suspension...

Seems pretty obvious.

Tony? Care to chime in about the Subframe swaps?

Sent from my GS3.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

90% of the M3 suspension will swap over just fine.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Get coilovers, run 275 in front

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDNSPOTS View Post
    I'm looking at wheels, and was wondering what is the specific reasons M3 setups won't work, and all the distributors say for non-M only.

I want the wider stance and currently run 265s in the back. I know I could go with a little less ET and haven't even rolled my fenders yet.

Would like to run 255s in front on 8.5s and 275s in rear on 9.5s. Also want a square set up of 255s on 8.5s, and I know that's doable.
    This is specifically why:

A straight, stock-to-stock rear wheel swap will result in the M3 wheel “poking” out 30 mm further than the stock ZHP rear wheel (and very likely rubbing something fierce). It’s not impossible to run an M3-spec rear setup, but it’d just take a lot of fender/suspension work!

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Well the M3 is basically a different chassis as the body work and subframes are M specific. It also has an entirely different suspension...

Seems pretty obvious.

Tony? Care to chime in about the Subframe swaps?

Sent from my GS3.

The front track is slightly wider and the rear is not much more. However the metal fenders are significantly wider than the non-M which allows for a wider rim.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    The front track is slightly wider and the rear is not much more. However the metal fenders are significantly wider than the non-M which allows for a wider rim.
    Si!

Sent from my GS3.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Too wide. You can run 4 front m3 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez View Post
    Too wide. You can run 4 front m3 wheels.
    Not necessarily too wide, but too aggressive.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Yeah. Meant the offset is too aggressive. I've seen some rock it. And it looks nice. But you need stretch tires and pretty high camber

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast